Confusing road signs on Templar Street.

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
Leodian

Confusing road signs on Templar Street.

Post by Leodian »

Walking along Templar Street today (April 18 2018) I noticed these confusing road signs (well they confused me! ;)). I don't have a car but if I did I would be unsure what to do!
Attachments
ConfusingRoadSignsTemplarStreetLeedsApr182018..jpg
ConfusingRoadSignsTemplarStreetLeedsApr182018..jpg (97.26 KiB) Viewed 3465 times
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

dogduke

Re: Confusing road signs on Templar Street.

Post by dogduke »

NOTHING the Leeds Highways people does surprises me.

The person responsible for the LS8 area over the last few years must either be a sadist or they they
have taken the drawings home and let the kids crayon bits in which were then carried out.
Consciousness: That annoying time between naps.90% of being smart is knowing what you're dumb at.

warringtonrhino

Post by warringtonrhino »

The top sign tells motorists that there is no option to turn right - the street also has NO ENTRY signs.
the bottom sign tells motorists, who may be used to turning right, that there is a new one way system and the option is no longer available.
In my opinion the bottom sign is not necessary, if you drive a car you ought to pay attention to the road signs, not the satnav.

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

warringtonrhino wrote: In my opinion the bottom sign is not necessary, if you drive a car you ought to pay attention to the road signs, not the satnav.
If thought necessary it should have been without the arrow and possibly the ubiquitous "New road layout". These signs should never last longer than 12 months as people are looking for new changes not those they have long since become accustomed to.
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

Not the Signs that are confusing, Some years ago Leeds Council gave all the Tenants/ Owners etc. that they were going to have to move and find new Premises. These Buildings were to be demolished to make way for the New John Lewis Store as a part of the New Victoria Gate
My Brother in Law was renting at the time, the Building shown in the Picture on the Corner (Offers Considered) this was a Two Storey Factory in quite poor condition so he jumped at the opportunity and quickly found Single Storey Building on Roseville Road. Leeds Corps. paid all the Removal, Sewing Machines, Tables and all subsequent expenses. So all in all it was quite a good deal in Bobs case.
There were various other Businesses that had to move including a Chinese Food Wholesalers and possilbly a Restaurant. There was a Strong Rumour that they owned these large Premises and that the Purchase etc cost over a Million pounds.
I do know there was a Cafe and a Snooker Centre in the next Street, i think they might have relocated to somewhere off of the ABC Cinema.
The Difference with this Scheme was that the Tenants/ Owners were given almost Carte Blanche to find their own Premises. This was extremely quite rare when Compulsory Purchase is involved
As time went on it seemed some of these vacated Buildings were being vandalised and then it appears Protective Boards had appeared on windows and doors.
Meanwhile some of Eastgate had been demolished which would finally give way to that "Silver Monstrosity"
My Brother In Law firmly believes that when the John Lewis Designer team had taken a closer look at where it was to be sited they then had second thoughts.

This must have Cost Leeds City Co. an absolute Fortune to Revise and rethink.

tilly

Post by tilly »

i posted the same idea in Memories of Leeds i said thatJ/L had a lot to do with the demolition of the buildings on the Lower Headrow .Only to be told that they were in a state of disrepair and jerry built looking at the above post there is more to this than meets the eye.Looks to me has though they were prepared to go out of the way to get hold of the buildings.money money money thats all the council cares about.It was a big shock to me when i found out that the council sold the Corn Exchange to a private buyer what the hell is that all about will it be the Town Hall next or the Civic Hall the last two are a bit tongue in cheek but you can see were i am going. .
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

I only ever went in to the Yorkshire Hussars Pub upstairs in the Music room early '60s Don't recall ever going into any other shops apart from Maturies to have a knife or scissors sharpened. Nothing about that row of Buildings ever gave me the impression of "Jerry Built" quite the opposite in fact.
The only Building that i ever thought was not very solid was the Gas Board Showrooms a little higher up on the right hand side.
Even the old Marquis of Granby Pub is up for Rental as the Leeds Co. included that when they took over the whole area.
Last edited by volvojack on Sun 22 Apr, 2018 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tilly

Post by tilly »

Hi Jack i was told the buildings were not built very well they were built in the fiftys I said they were better built than the houses they throw up now.The other side were built many years before, the ones they demolished were built to match the existing ones to me it looks a mess at least both sides were the same so someone put on photographs of the rundown shops to prove a point.The shops could have been revamped but the council had no intentions of letting the buildings remain so found an excuse to pull them down.I would bet money that J/L had a big say in the matter not wanting them to spoil the view of there new store.

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

Good Morning Tilly,
I had intended to post some of the Comments printed in the Guardian N/Paper to illustrate some of the "Tosh" that is spouted by Architects etc. when trying to blind folks with so called Ideas.
"Out of the Chemical Smoke has risen the Victoria Gate Devopment"
"It is well made, built to last, but also Cyber Heraldic, Robo Gothic. It is wrapped in a Diagrid which evokes the Ultra Light Geodesic beloved of the Technophile"

There is much, much more but i can't be bothered to read it.
Just go to " Victoria Gate Leeds Review"

P.s. It does not mention Ugly, Expensive, A Burden on the Taxpayer (until they turn All of the Streets and Buildings around the Templar area into some sort of revenue )

tilly

Post by tilly »

What a load of tosh has you say, the thing is they believe what they say i must admit i never went to the same school as them so i dont understand what they are saying.Thats if anyone does i suppose the council must know there paying enough for there services if you blind people with science some will be impressed not me im afraid i call a spade a spade not a ground breaking implement for piercing the infrastructure of the earths surface.