Gate posts in bushes off butt lane

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
polos

Gate posts in bushes off butt lane

Post by polos »

Ive actually been meaning to post this for a lot time now but keep forgetting.
Anyway in the bushes off butt lane there are two big gate posts that always used to catch my eye when going up that way. Im just wondering if anyone on here has everyone noticed them before. They are a lot bigger than they look on google maps and are barely visible. It certainly look like it was a grand entrance to something. No one Ive asked about this even knew they were there let alone what they were part of. If anyone has any information on this it would solve a long time puzzle many thanks

Butt Ln

https://goo.gl/maps/bS7u4ZyC6GU2

buffaloskinner

Re: Gate posts in bushes off butt lane

Post by buffaloskinner »

The Cricket Ground with its Pavilion is the only thing on that section of Butt Lane for over 100 years. Could have been the entrance.

:arrow:
Attachments
Butt Lane 1908.JPG
Butt Lane 1908.JPG (57.66 KiB) Viewed 3029 times
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?

polos

Post by polos »

Aha this map appears to answer it. The gateposts are on the other side of the road but it seems it would have been the entrance to the vicarage. Thanks for that.
I wonder when it was knocked down. It's a shame there's not more photos of this area of butt lane as this is a very old place there's still a stone trough set into the wall further up opp the fishpond iirc.

tilly

Post by tilly »

And Butt Lane refers to a rifle range in the past.
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

jim

Post by jim »

Any idea where the rifle range was Sid?

rikj

Post by rikj »

polos wrote:I wonder when it was knocked down.
It's marked on a 1965 map, but the 1965-1968 map shows the Stonecliffe estate in its place. So presumably gone between '65 and '68.

The nearest places of worship are the Methodist chapel and St Michael's and All Angels. Not my world but I dont know that the Methodist Church has vicars, so maybe the vicarage was for St. Michael's? Any name on the gate posts?

Begs the question whether the church sold the land for the building of the houses.

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

actually Butt just means something for stopping either bullets or arrows ,so in fact depending on the age of the road it could have been arrows!
Steve JonesI don't know everything, I just like to give that impression!