Fenced area in the Holbeck Triangle

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
RichD

Fenced area in the Holbeck Triangle

Post by RichD »

Hey everyone - long-time reader, first-time poster, as they say.

In the Holbeck Triangle (the triangle of railway viaducts between Water Lane, Globe Road and Springwell Road), there is a small fenced area.

I've noticed it from the train window a few times and today I went down to Water Lane and got a photo of it through the fence there.

It is relatively new (probably about a year old: it doesn't appear on Bing Maps aerial photos, but it does appear on both the Bing and Google satellite views). There's definitely a bird table in there and I think - looking out of the train window - there's a plaque of some kind in the middle. It doesn't look to be a protective fence of any kind - it appears to be decorative.

Does anyone know what it is? I know Steam Hall used to stand on the site and it was the site of the ill-fated Brick Man project, so it could be something to do with one of those? It also looks like it might be a grave or memorial of some sort.

So odd to have something like this in a restricted area!

blackprince

Re: Fenced area in the Holbeck Triangle

Post by blackprince »

I can't comment on the fenced off area but the title of your post reminded me of trainspotting in this triangle in the mid 1960's. We would go to the triangle after visiting Holbeck shed. We called it the magic triangle because you could see all trains to and from Leeds Central station and the through trains from Leeds City.
I suggest a statue of the" lost train spotter " should be erected on the site. Maybe Anthony Gormley could put a group of them there - just like the old days!
It used to be said that the statue of the Black Prince had been placed in City Square , near the station, pointing South to tell all the southerners who've just got off the train to b****r off back down south!

mhoulden

Post by mhoulden »

The garden was opened in 2011 as a memorial to Ernest "The Belt" Rodgerson who was hit and killed by an empty train in 2009. Story at http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-13574256 and details of the inquest at http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/n ... -1-4680813. Because of its location it's for railway staff only but it does look neglected and I wonder if someone could be persuaded to do it up a bit.

RichD

Post by RichD »

Thank you for this information! Just what I wanted to know.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

There is a report on page 9 of the Yorkshire Evening Post today (July 24 2019) about a restoration of the memorial garden to Ernest Rodgerson. The report has a "See more on this story at www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk" but I cannot find it so I would be grateful if anyone can find it and provide the link to the online report.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

I've now found the link to the report in the Yorkshire Evening Post website:- https://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/ ... -1-9888077
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.