Likely local flooding (Dec 26 2015).

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
Leodian

Likely local flooding (Dec 26 2015).

Post by Leodian »

With all the rain recently it is not surprising that local watercourses are carrying a lot of water. The river levels in the Environment Agency (EA) website show the national situation. This is the link to the EA website:- http://apps.environment-agency.gov.uk/r ... fault.aspx. The River Aire at Crown Point Bridge is for example currently very high.

I had a walk (more a paddle!) just before noon in part of Adel Wood where Nanny Beck (King Lane) joins Adel Beck. The normally very quiet Nanny Beck had a very strong brown flow. To give some idea of the scene I have added these 3 photos. As Adel Beck becomes Meanwood Beck it's no surprise that the level of Meanwood Beck in the EA website is currently very high (though seeing the heavy flow of Adel Beck I would have expected the level to be even higher). The first photo shows the stone foot bridge over Nanny Beck near to the Babbling Baby Spring (BBS). The second shows where Nanny Beck joins Adel Beck (that comes in from right to left in the rear). The third shows a view looking upstream of Adel Beck from where it is about to meet Nanny Beck. Interestingly, despite all the rain, there were only a very few drops of water dripping at the BBS. Up to about 5 years or so back the BBS used to have at least a gentle flow even in dry weather, but then water began to drain out several metres away and since then the BBS has been effectively dry.
Nanny Beck (Dec 26 2015).
Nanny Beck (Dec 26 2015).
597R.jpg (107.75 KiB) Viewed 5061 times
Where Nanny Beck joins Adel Beck (Dec 26 2015).
Where Nanny Beck joins Adel Beck (Dec 26 2015).
600R.jpg (96.74 KiB) Viewed 5061 times
Upstream view of Adel Beck just before it joins Nanny Beck (Dec 26 2015).
Upstream view of Adel Beck just before it joins Nanny Beck (Dec 26 2015).
603R.jpg (98.06 KiB) Viewed 5061 times
PS. Sorry for the quality of the photos. I tried to keep rain off the camera lens but some did remain and somewhat spoilt the photos.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

rikj

Re: Likely local flooding (Dec 26 2015).

Post by rikj »

The Aire is now at record levels and there are 5 severe flood warnings for Leeds. Severe means there are "significant impacts to infrastructure and risk to life in the area". Estimated to peak at 11pm tonight.

Happy Valley

Post by Happy Valley »

I really hope Leeds doesn’t experience the flooding and devestation that I have seen with my own eyes today. Yorkshire and Lancashire have been hit really bad overnight. My thoughts today are with all those people including family friends who have lost everything today, all the shops are flooded out in the town. I’ve got a couple of spare beds that my son’s friends have just taken up after finding themselves homeless today.

It’s really bad where I live in Calder Valley, just 600 yards below my house all the roads and cars are 5ft under water, after the River Ryburn busrt it’s banks in Sowerby Bridge this morning. Luckily I’m just above it all on a nice steep hill, so should be okay, but all the surrounding towns are now cut off from each other, and the local Tesco is cut off and will not be getting any deliveries until it clears. The local vehicle recovery company have a fleet of wagons stranded in the yard and the roads are blocked with stranded cars that tried to make it through the waters to escape it.

We’ve got the Coast Guard helicopters here now evacuating those stranded in buildings in the town centre. Last time we got hit this bad in Sowerby Bridge was in 1940s.

sparky415

Post by sparky415 »

The river wharfe at pool was mental.

I have pics, but don't know how to post them
Come on Leeds United!

Brunel

Post by Brunel »

Brunel

Post by Brunel »

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Those are amazing scenes Brunel. I feel very sorry for all of the people (not just in Leeds) that have been affected by the floods.

I had a look today (December 27 2015) where the River Aire comes out at the Leeds Station Southern Entrance (LSSE) site which is shortly to open. Judged by debris in the area the water level had clearly fallen a lot, but the river flow was still impressive. The bit where Little Neville Street is about to join the Dark Arches was covered in a thin mud layer and was strewn with upturned wheelie bins. Curiously there were hundreds of bottles on that stretch of road with many upright that looked as if they had been placed that way, but if so there were no footprints in the mud with most of them that I would have expected.

Just to give some idea of the scenes I've attached 3 photos that I took. The first is a view of the LSSE where the River Aire comes out of the Dark Arches. The second is where there are steps that would normally be used to go from the footbridge to get to the Leeds & Liverpool Canal Area. The water mark on the pillar and rear wall may indicate the level the water reached, but it could be where it splashed up to. The third is the steps where people get on/off the Water Taxi (it also shows part of the recently built flood defence structure there). The tree trunk looks a bit like a crocodile to me!
View of the LSSE where the River Aire comes out of the Dark Arches (taken 12:36 GMT on Dec 27 2015).
View of the LSSE where the River Aire comes out of the Dark Arches (taken 12:36 GMT on Dec 27 2015).
615R.jpg (135.3 KiB) Viewed 4843 times
Flooded steps by the River Aire (taken 12:37 GMT on Dec 27 2015).
Flooded steps by the River Aire (taken 12:37 GMT on Dec 27 2015).
617R.jpg (156.99 KiB) Viewed 4843 times
Crocodile looking tree trunk by the flood defence work of the River Aire near Granary Wharf area (taken at 12:40 GMT on Dec 27 2015).
Crocodile looking tree trunk by the flood defence work of the River Aire near Granary Wharf area (taken at 12:40 GMT on Dec 27 2015).
619R.jpg (123.17 KiB) Viewed 4843 times

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

Terrible isn't it? Some good photos there, thanks for sharing.

Still, David Cameron is due to make a flying visit tomorrow, so that will make everything alright won't it?
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Thanks raveydavey :).

I thought I would post 2 more photos I took today (Dec 27 2015). The first shows the Direct Line Group private car park on Little Neville Street. If the water mark shows the highest that the water from the River Aire reached then it was very high. Note also the mud on Little Neville Street. The second shows a view from inside the Dark Arches (squeezing my camera through security fencing and then pressing the shutter and hoping for the best!) that shows the force of the water there. I'm not sure now but I think part of the outside seating area of the Golf Bar is to the top left and that a footpath from the LSSE to Little Neville Street is just out of view above. I do wonder just how much effect the LSSE site has on the river flow as it surely must restrict it somewhat?
Direct Line Group car park on Little Neville Street (taken at 12:35 GMT on Dec 27 2015).
Direct Line Group car park on Little Neville Street (taken at 12:35 GMT on Dec 27 2015).
613R.jpg (115.87 KiB) Viewed 4829 times
View form inside the Dark Arches (taken at 12:45 GMT on Dec 27 2015).
View form inside the Dark Arches (taken at 12:45 GMT on Dec 27 2015).
623R.jpg (175.93 KiB) Viewed 4829 times

Brunel

Post by Brunel »

Filthy water pouring OUT of a street drainage gulley.

ImageWATER FEATURE by Isambard Brunel,