Leeds Station southern entrance plans approved

Railways, trams, buses, etc.
Leodian

Re: Leeds Station southern entrance plans approved

Post by Leodian »

That's an excellent photo tyke bhoy :). As I don't recognise the view I wonder if it was taken inside the station as I've not been in that for sometime.

Looking at the LSSE site today (Dec 17 2015) inside the Dark Arches area there is still finishing up work going on. I could see that the escalators were working as well as the electronic arrivals/departures board. I also notice signs stating access between 10:00 pm to 6:00 am is by New Station Street, so not then by such as Little Neville Street nor Granary Wharf.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

Leo, I know it isn't up to your standard and neither was the commentary. The photo was taken from pretty much the Western side of the main "bridge" in the station that allows access to the platforms not adjacent to the main entrance. I was almost up to the low level plastic barriers (hurdle size) that separate the "hard hat area". The blue sign states exit and is just past the currently covered automatic barriers. To the top left of the photo you can just about see the top of the steps/escalator down to platform 16 and 17 beyond.

I suppose I'm not surprised at the 6.00 am opening time as it does require some security and the few TPE trains in the early hours are not going to inconvenience alighting or boarding passengers too much by requiring them to use New Station Street but I am disappointed at the 10.00pm closing time. There are still a lot of last and even penultimate trains home after then for late workers or those partaking in the delights of the Grove, the Midnight Bell, the Cross Keys, the Hop, Candlebar and one or two other licenced establishments in the vicinity. Its always disappointed me that the steps at Bishopgate Street close at 9.30pm meaning getting on for another .25mile detour for those approaching the station from Swinegate/Neville St.
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

These are a couple of photos that I took inside the Dark Arches on December 23 2015. I had to squeeze my camera through security fencing and then take photos hoping they would come out OK (the Sun caused the very bright light in the second photo!). The first photo shows a view looking to the old foot/road way over River Aire and the second shows the entry/exit area in the Dark Arches near Little Neville Street.

I was amused (not sure if that is the right word to use!) by a sign I saw near the Granary Wharf end informing that the outside entry/exit path there would be closed in strong wind! That path is over the river so people could be blown in, though I don't recall hearing of the footbridge over the river just downstream of the LSSE site being closed in high wind.
View in the LSSE work in the Dark Arches (taken Dec 23 2015).
View in the LSSE work in the Dark Arches (taken Dec 23 2015).
589R.jpg (104.26 KiB) Viewed 8309 times
View of the LSSE work in the Dark Arches (taken Dec 23 2015).
View of the LSSE work in the Dark Arches (taken Dec 23 2015).
590R.jpg (110.59 KiB) Viewed 8309 times

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

In a post of mine on Dec 09, 2015 8:39 pm I added some photos (taken at differing dates) of an eroded looking area by the footbridge over the River Aire near the LSSE site. I thought I would post these 2 new ones of that area. The first shows a scene on December 27 2015 when the river level was still high and covered the area, though the river had fallen below the highest it would have reached during the December 26 flooding. The second is a zoomed-in photo (slightly out of focus) taken on December 30 2015 when the area was exposed again and might be showing signs of further erosion. The support for the building above it is presumably solid and OK but it does still give me concern for its safety if more erosion occurs (there is a path between the river side and the building that will presumably be used when the LSSE opens). The 'tidying up' at the area in October did not last long!
A little downriver of the LSSE (taken on Dec 27 2015).
A little downriver of the LSSE (taken on Dec 27 2015).
614R.jpg (128.34 KiB) Viewed 8235 times
A zoomed-in view of the eroded area just downriver of the LSSE (taken Dec 30 2015).
A zoomed-in view of the eroded area just downriver of the LSSE (taken Dec 30 2015).
644R.jpg (122.41 KiB) Viewed 8235 times

dogduke

Post by dogduke »

Open to the public from tomorrow
Sunday 3.1.2016.

Leodian first in the queue with his camera ??
Consciousness: That annoying time between naps.90% of being smart is knowing what you're dumb at.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

dogduke wrote:Open to the public from tomorrow
Sunday 3.1.2016.

Leodian first in the queue with his camera ??
Hiya dogduke :).

Thanks for the info. I won't though be there on the opening day ( :cry: ) but I may be some day during next week ( :) ). It will be interesting to finally get inside.

dogduke

Post by dogduke »

This came from a YEP article so when you get there during the
week you could still be first,the paper and my ex employer (NR) are not famous
for getting things right.
Don't forget to take the lens cap off!
Consciousness: That annoying time between naps.90% of being smart is knowing what you're dumb at.

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

ImageFrom a tweet by WYCA (WYPTE successor)
http://www.wymetro.com/news/LSSE_open/
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

I went to the LSSE today (Jan 7 2016). It's quite impressive to see what has been done inside. To give an idea these are 3 of the photos that I took. The first shows the first escalators. The second shows the second set of escalators (after the first set) that lead to the ticket barriers in the station. The third photo shows a view from inside looking downriver.

There is still work going on (particularly the taking down of the very tall crane that was used during the external construction) so currently at least it seems there is no direct access from Little Neville Street (the Dark Arches currently need to be used for access from Neville Street). Entry/Exit is though open from the Granary Wharf.
First escalators when entering the LSSE (photo taken Jan 7 2016).
First escalators when entering the LSSE (photo taken Jan 7 2016).
658R.jpg (112.05 KiB) Viewed 8041 times
Second escalators after entering the LSSE. They lead to the ticket barrier area (photo taken Jan 7 2016)
Second escalators after entering the LSSE. They lead to the ticket barrier area (photo taken Jan 7 2016)
661R.jpg (140.97 KiB) Viewed 8041 times
View from inside the LSSE looking downriver (photo taken Jan 7 2016).
View from inside the LSSE looking downriver (photo taken Jan 7 2016).
664R.jpg (126.67 KiB) Viewed 8041 times

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Hoping not to bore with more photos but these are 2 that I took today (Jan 8 2016) when I quickly popped back to try to get some better photos than I took yesterday. The first shows the gated barriers (a platform is just seen to the right). It was quiet when I took this photo at 12:27! The second shows some of the impressive roof structure beams.

One thing that struck me was that there does not seem to be much to stop anyone falling into the river in some parts. I suppose though that was always the case for anyone walking over the old footbridge over the river (that and the old road are still there). I also noticed that there is now no parking in the Dark Arches bays were there was parking, as those bays are now mostly shuttered and locked.
Gated ticket barriers at the LSSE (taken 12:27 Jan 8 2016).
Gated ticket barriers at the LSSE (taken 12:27 Jan 8 2016).
670R.jpg (110.31 KiB) Viewed 7991 times
View of some of the roof beams at the LSSE (taken Jan 8 2016).
View of some of the roof beams at the LSSE (taken Jan 8 2016).
671R.jpg (128.9 KiB) Viewed 7991 times