Very old premises at the bottom of North Street.

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
jim

Re: Very old premises at the bottom of North Street.

Post by jim »

I remember being measured for, tried-on, and receiving my first fitted suit in around 1958/9 by a one-man business tailor who operated in an upstairs room over these shops.

String o' beads

Post by String o' beads »

jim wrote:I remember being measured for, tried-on, and receiving my first fitted suit in around 1958/9 by a one-man business tailor who operated in an upstairs room over these shops.
Yes jim. Just asked my Dad what he remembers of this parade and he said there was a tailor. He also mentioned Abelson's wood yard, which was Frankie Vaughan's family's concern.

Brunel

Post by Brunel »

@Leodian

Northwood House used to be a branch of the London and Midland Bank and it had a clock with three large dials installed by Wm Potts & Sons Leeds in 1900. The movement was removed and taken overseas by a collector after a synchronous movement was fitted.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Brunel wrote:@Leodian

Northwood House used to be a branch of the London and Midland Bank and it had a clock with three large dials installed by Wm Potts & Sons Leeds in 1900. The movement was removed and taken overseas by a collector after a synchronous movement was fitted.
Thanks Brunel for that information :). There are still 3 clock faces there but I forgot to check if they are all stuck at 6 o'clock.

Edit added November 4 2014. Passing by today I noticed that all 3 clocks are fixed at 6 o'clock. It's a shame they are not working.
Last edited by Leodian on Tue 04 Nov, 2014 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

I thought (hope) it would be of interest to post this photo of the rear of the premises that I took on October 29 2014.
Attachments
004R.jpg
004R.jpg (128.67 KiB) Viewed 2945 times

chemimike

Post by chemimike »

Leodian
I used to travel down past those shops regularly 15 -30 years ago, and i;m pretty sure the Private shop was there at least 25 years ago. Not perhaps such a "discrete" position as some of its kind, but, of course, no neighbours to complain

j.c.d.

Post by j.c.d. »

Leodian wrote:Just for being a related building I thought I would add this photo that I took on October 29 2104 of the currently not in use very old Midland Bank building at the Meanwood Road end of the row of premises. It's a shame that the clock has been stopped at 6 o'clock for a long time now!
In the late 1950s I used to pay in the days takings of a carpet firm in North St. (Modern Flooorcovering Co.) at the Midland Bank and there was one clerk that when he was counting the notes if he found one turned the other way or had a fold or crease he would stop and stare at you at the same time straighten the offending note.

Also in each November I would go in there and get a personal loan of £150. to buy Xmas gear from a local wharehouse and pay the loan back in January after earning a nice few quid. Happy days indeed.

iansmithofotley

Post by iansmithofotley »

Hi everyone,

In the 1970's there was a 'nightclub' on the first floor, above the premises. It was near to a taxi business which faced Appleyards. In those days it was known as the "Shaheen Club'. I can't remember exactly when (80's or 90's), but there was a murder committed and the body was found in the small street behind the premises.

Ian
Last edited by iansmithofotley on Tue 04 Nov, 2014 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Brunel

Post by Brunel »

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Thanks all for your input, which is appreciated. :)