Tour de France Leeds

Your favourite days out round Leeds
drapesy

Post by drapesy »

hyperion wrote: Now that the tour de france is over, for most people anyway. When can we start to speculate on what honour will bestowed on the Illustrious Gary Verity. Call me cynical but this seems to be the norm for people who organise these showbiz events You're right. They should reserve honours like this for people who really deserve them. Like Jimmy Savile. And Rolf Harris.
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.

anthonydna

Post by anthonydna »

Well if you need to visit somewhere to juxtapose what the rest of the world probably views as the biggest most supported and successful promotion of Leeds and Yorkshire, then can I recommend here , Secret Leeds, where it always rains, everyone is on the make and people have the audacity to charge over 2 pounds for a cup of coffee.

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

anthonydna wrote: Well if you need to visit somewhere to juxtapose what the rest of the world probably views as the biggest most supported and successful promotion of Leeds and Yorkshire, then can I recommend here , Secret Leeds, where it always rains, everyone is on the make and people have the audacity to charge over 2 pounds for a cup of coffee. Well said.I was in Pool and later Otley today and it was fantastic - really enjoyed it. Didn't miss the Moaners and Doubters and 'Glad when its all over' merchants one bit!
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

hyperion wrote: Now that the tour de france is over, for most people anyway. When can we start to speculate on what honour will bestowed on the Illustrious Gary Verity. Call me cynical but this seems to be the norm for people who organise these showbiz events Whatever he gets he desrves it, that was som effort on his and his team to bring this to Leeds and Yorkshire.The helicopter views of the route asthe race wound its way through the Dales is going to be the biggest shot in the arm to tourism in Yorkshire.It looked awesome, absolutely awesome.Things are happening in Leeds and the environs, alot of good things.Lets hope there will be even more.
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

drapesy wrote: hyperion wrote: Now that the tour de france is over, for most people anyway. When can we start to speculate on what honour will bestowed on the Illustrious Gary Verity. Call me cynical but this seems to be the norm for people who organise these showbiz events You're right. They should reserve honours like this for people who really deserve them. Like Jimmy Savile. And Rolf Harris. Steve, if there was a "Like" button on SL you would have got a dozen from me alone for that one!!
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

I saw much of the stage up to the Buttertubs on television and the scenes/scenery were amazing. The good weather also helped a lot. I did though have my heart in my mouth (or whatever the expression is) where the crowds covered the roads in parts and clearly hindered progress. I fear there could be a serious incident if something is not done to better control the crowds in tomorrow's stage.I also learnt something! When a commentator stated Chelker Reservoir is fed by the River Wharfe I thought that seemed unlikely in view of the height of the reservoir above the river, but I've found that water is pumped from the river to the reservoir. They must be strong pumps!
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

hyperion

Post by hyperion »

The point i was making and i'm from the tommy simpson era when the tour de france had little coverage in england . This is a media circus for the masses,and nothing to do with a cycle race. The tour de france is run by Amaury sport organisation and they control every aspect of the race,from live tv feed to race security, they move into our or any country who pay them x million pounds GBP park anywhere they wish get the city shutdown and where happy with that.in summary there like a flock of pigeons fly in s**t on everyone and fly out again.As for the rest of the world i think there probably to busy staving to death or getting murdered to care what happens in this great city.
They say i have no talent and that I'm difficult to work with.And they say it as if its a bad thing

hyperion

Post by hyperion »

french t v controlling what we see
Attachments
P1010748.jpg
P1010748.jpg (25.29 KiB) Viewed 2906 times
They say i have no talent and that I'm difficult to work with.And they say it as if its a bad thing

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

hyperion wrote: The point i was making and i'm from the tommy simpson era when the tour de france had little coverage in england . This is a media circus for the masses,and nothing to do with a cycle race. The tour de france is run by Amaury sport organisation and they control every aspect of the race,from live tv feed to race security, they move into our or any country who pay them x million pounds GBP park anywhere they wish get the city shutdown and where happy with that.in summary there like a flock of pigeons fly in s**t on everyone and fly out again.As for the rest of the world i think there probably to busy staving to death or getting murdered to care what happens in this great city. Yep im happy to shut the city down for this, and i havent heard anyone but yourself complain about it.And if they are starving to death or being murdered then you are right, no matter where you live you wouldnt be bothered about the tour being in Leeds, you would be more bothered about getting something to eat or stop being murdered.But thats the point, most people arent starving or being murdered, we are living normal lives most of the time.It may be a media circus for the masses, but the masses turned out "en masse" and im sure that they were all pretty much well educated and intelligent enough to realise this was a good thing for the city and Yorkshire.It doesnt really matter who controls the tv coverage, its not like its anything political, after all its Brazilian TV who are not only recording and broadcasting the world cup but who are also editing what is broadcast for tv companies around the world.and what is the problem with French TV, if the French invented "Le Tour" in the first place when Tommy Simpson was cycling then they cant be all that bad, its not as if its North Korean State TV who are flying the helicopter and beaming pictures of their glorious new tractor factories around the world (nod to Airplane)Tommy Simpson died 47 years ago, times have changed. - See more at: http://www.secretleeds.com/forum/Messag ... 00&#107439

hyperion

Post by hyperion »

french gendarmerie Thats french national security
Attachments
P1010738.jpg
P1010738.jpg (107.87 KiB) Viewed 7297 times