forgotten pub opposite queens hotel

Old, disused, forgotten and converted pubs
tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

uncle mick wrote: Hallams Northern Hotel marked Northern Hotel on the 1891 map, as suggested this is on or near to the site of the Majestic     Thanks. I think despite Liits excellent information we can rule that out of Polo's tithe. It would help if said tithe was dated but its looking mid 1890s or earlier and being the Midland Hotel in your initial posting on the thread
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

jim

Post by jim »

Checking old-maps (co-ordinates 429900, 433400) the buildings in question appear on maps of 1850 and 1891, but not on the 1906 map.    

polo

Post by polo »

Yeah the reason this one jumped out at me was that i dont recall ever seeing a building on that side like ever (even in the earliest pic of etchings and pencil dawings still no sign of it). It would block the view to the quenns hotel. Im guessing the name will be in relation the the nearby bank maybe?

liits

Post by liits »

A bit more about Hallam’s Northern Hotel and the Midland Hotel.....There is something of a connection between the two in the form of Samuel Hallam himself. He was Licensee of the Midland Hotel from 15th Jan 1880 until 17th Dec 1886. The premises aren’t listed in the Kelly’s 1881 or Post Office 1882 Trade Directories but is listed with him as the Licensee in the 1886 Kelly’s Directory.The Licensing Register does not give an exact date for the closure of the Midland Hotel but closes with this note; “License dropped at the Brewster Sessions [February] 1893. Premises pulled down for street improvements.” The actual date of the closure of the premises could have been at any point in the two years up to Feb 1883, the freeholders [the executors of A Webster] not having bothered to inform the Licensing Justices. The group of buildings do, though, still appear – with the premises marked “P.H” on the 1893 OS map and, if you look very carefully, also on the 1894 OS map [although without the “P.H” – its only a 1:2500 scale map].He was then licensee of the Northern Hotel [which becomes colloquially known as Hallam’s] from 4th Feb 1887 [the License being transferred at that year’s Brewster Sessions] and he held the License until 28th Jan 1897. The premises are not recorded in the Kelly’s 1888 or Slaters’ 1892 Trade Directories although it is listed in the 1886 Kelly’s Directory [Licensee; John Wilson]. The 1893 Kelly’s Directory records the name of James Landles but the Licensing Register doesn’t record Landles as ever having been a Licensee of the premises. This may be an error on the part of the compiler of the directory as James Landles is listed [for the same year] as the Licensee of the Griffin Hotel. Mr Hallam gets his only mention at the premises in the 1897 Kelly’s Directory.With regard to the closure of the Northern Hotel, the freehold of the premises changed from Mr William Holdforth of Horsforth, to the Lord Mayor, Aldermen & Citizens of the City of Leeds on the 13th February 1912. I guess that the good Burgesses of Leeds knew all those eight years in advance that the area to the edge of City Square would be redeveloped. I wonder how much they sold the land for?

polo

Post by polo »

How odd dont you think that it still appears on maps 40 yrs later. Thing is i cant seem to find it on earlier pics of when the cloth hall was there like 1880s. Im fairly confident that the name comesw from the nearby midland bank

polo

Post by polo »

Well the plot thickens seems there were signs pointing to it in 1908 a long time to stay standing dont you think

polo

Post by polo »

Also "premises pulled down for building of new cinema" I guess this never materialised unless it became part of the cinema at the queens hotel?

polo

Post by polo »

http://www.leodis.org/display.aspx?reso ... er=7977and youd think it would be on here anyone know when the rotunda was demolished?

polo

Post by polo »

I forgot to mention i was looking at the 1890 map but the tithe has a odd feature where if you expand the map to full size for some reason i cant understand it offers you a new date of 1875 anyone noticed this

mhoulden

Post by mhoulden »

Looking at the 1850 map on Old Maps (coordinates (429821, 433400)), City Square did not exist. Nor did Quebec St. The Coloured Cloth Hall was on the site of City Square, with the old Leeds Infirmary behind it and a timber yard between it and Wellington St. On the 1891 map the West Riding Hotel is in the same place as it is now, which places the Northern at more or less the same place as the side entrance for the Majestic. The Northern isn't a million miles away from the Great Northern Hotel, so that could have been confusing and probably why it was called Hallam's. Digging around I found http://www.secretleeds.com/forum/Messag ... =25&#76061 which includes a link to this postcard of Eyebright Place on Leodis at http://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?reso ... SPLAY=FULL which shows the Coloured Cloth Hall and the row of houses that eventually included the Northern Hotel:The lamp posts on the right are outside the Royal Exchange, now the Park Plaza hotel.