Innkeepers/Publicans

Old, disused, forgotten and converted pubs
CasAid

Post by CasAid »

Can anyone please help. I am researching my Husbands Family Tree and his 3x Great Grandad William Simpson was Innkeeper of the Black Boy Inn, Kirkgate from 1863 - 1879. I have also found that he was Innkeeper of The York Tavern, York Street in the 1840s. I know he was a renowned Brewer in his time. Would anybody have photos of these Inns please or know anything about William - also known as Bill. Thanks Julie

liits

Post by liits »

William Simpson; he first appears in the Trade Directories as innkeeper at a Beer House named the Bonapart at Button’s Yard, Mill Hill. This is in the Baines & Newsome 1834 directory.He is not listed in the 1839 Leeds Directory but the premises that he had occupied [which had been at 2 Button’s Yard] was now trading as the Brewers Arms. It is not unusual for a new tenant to change the name of a premises when they took over. He is recorded as W Simpson in the 1845 Williams’ Directory at the York Tavern, York Street – but you knew that. This is the only occurrence of his name at this premises. The preceding and succeeding occupant being John Sowrey. Sowrey may have let or sub-let the premises to William as the directories show other names at the premises but only for odd years, never for prolonged periods. He is not mentioned in directories for 1849, 50, 51, 53, 57, 58, 61 or 63.He is named as licensee of the Black Boy Inn, 128 Kirkgate in the 1866, 70 and 72 Directories.There is also the McCorquerdale’s 1876 Directory but I’ve lost my copy in a recent house move. He may have been listed in it but I can’t say for sure.He was certainly the last licensee of the Black Boy. The Licensing Register records that the License was not renewed [not re-applied for] at the Brewster Sessions in Feb 1880.I’m guessing that William had either retired or died in the time between Feb 1878 and Feb 1880 and that this was why there was no re-application. Odd, though, because he was only the tenant of the premises, the free-holder being a Mr Duggins of Burmantofts. The only reason I can think of is that the pub [beer house] was “self brewing” and would have been considered as either too much hard work or too much hard work for the rent.I can’t tell you when he took over as Licensee of the Black Boy because it was prior to the 1872 Licensing Act when the Act caused Licensing Justices to implement proper record keeping for Beer Houses as well as Public Houses.I don’t have my Ancestry subscription at the moment so can’t shed much more light on William’s whereabouts and doings in the intervening years but if you know his date of birth & death, wife, kids etc, he should be easily traced in the 1851 & 61 censuses.

CasAid

Post by CasAid »

Hi Liits, Thank you very much for your help. William died 1880. I do have census records for William, which show him in 1838 when he married Martha he lived in Swinegate, Leeds. 1851 Union Street, Leeds, 1861 Burns Yard, Leeds. I have a newspaper article that says William became Innkeeper of the Black Boy Inn in 1863. William Simpson 1815 - 1880.Thanks again.

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

Manchester Times, November 13th 1880
Attachments
William Simpson.jpg
William Simpson.jpg (33.07 KiB) Viewed 4119 times

CasAid

Post by CasAid »

Uncle Mick, thank you for the obituary notice. It's a big help.    

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

National Probate Calendar    
Attachments
William Simpson Death.jpg
William Simpson Death.jpg (59.19 KiB) Viewed 4119 times

CasAid

Post by CasAid »

Many thanks for your help, its much appreciated.

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

Uncle mick is a star
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

tilly

Post by tilly »

cnosni wrote: Uncle mick is a star I second that cnosni He once had three kings staying at his house
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

At the bottom of page 1 of the Kirkgate inns thread there is what information I found out about the 'Black Boy'. It was previously called the kings arms. On page 4 is a leodis picture that I believe shows the building in the 1930s when it was used for commercial premiseshttp://www.secretleeds.co.uk/forum/Messages.as ... tMessage=0
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.