Impressive Victorian Terrace 1863

Old, disused, forgotten and converted pubs
The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

If you like the architecture of Leeds you will probably look twice at many fine buildings - the older the better.Often we pass them in the car, on bike or on foot along the arterial routes of LeedsHowever hidden behind a school is a fine Victorian Terrace built in 1863 on a hillside with a southern view that is a delight as the stonework is seemingly as clean and as fine as when it was built.Well worth a look.Where is it?? Well if you can tell me you win a virtual ceegar.My main clue is that you already have enough clues as it is!!

LS1

Post by LS1 »

Is it Victoria Terrace, behind Morris Lane?

The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

LS1 wrote: Is it Victoria Terrace, behind Morris Lane? How did you work that out?the virtual ceegar is yours.It's an impressive terrace well tucked away and worth a look.Only yards away is one of the scruffiest corners of Leeds where Morris Lane meets the road down from Headingley

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

[quotenick="The Parksider"] LS1 wrote: Is it Victoria Terrace, behind Morris Lane? How did you work that out?The powers of Google I think. Victoria Terrace, Kirkstall, Leeds - Rightmovewww.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-36595069.html?4 bedroom terraced house for sale in Victoria Terrace, Kirkstall, Leeds ... Forming part of this small row of terraces built in 1863 and nicely positioned in this little ...

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

I like these W&W competitions.I'd like to think that correct answers, if I ever got one, are gained only by use of:1. A cub-scout like knowledge of Leeds2. Cycling round the suspected area 'till you see 'it'3. 1985 edition of Leeds AtoZ4. Ex-army binocularsbut, yeah google helps

LS1

Post by LS1 »

The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

Jogon wrote: I like these W&W competitions.I'd like to think that correct answers, if I ever got one, are gained only by use of:1. A cub-scout like knowledge of Leeds2. Cycling round the suspected area 'till you see 'it'3. 1985 edition of Leeds AtoZ4. Ex-army binocularsbut, yeah google helps Well the question was about a "Victorian Terrace" that was actually "Victoria terrace" so it was a giveaway!Anyhowse......As you go down Morris Lane the first school building looks like an add on but I think its an original "school house" and I wonder if this is Leeds oldest School?Thoughts??The cut of the stone is completely different to the main schools stone construction and for the "quarrymen" I find it fascinating to see probably two stones to be from the same source (local) to be cut so differently.....

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

Quote ParksiderAs you go down Morris Lane the first school building looks like an add on but I think its an original "school house" and I wonder if this is Leeds oldest School?Thoughts??The cut of the stone is completely different to the main schools stone construction and for the "quarrymen" I find it fascinating to see probably two stones to be from the same source (local) to be cut so differently..... Tithe map of 1846.http://tinyurl.com/kug9swt Looking at this it does look to be the original school and on the 1851 - 1854 Old Maps website just to the north of St Stephens church is Headingley Quarry    

The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

uncle mick wrote: Quote ParksiderAs you go down Morris Lane the first school building looks like an add on but I think its an original "school house" and I wonder if this is Leeds oldest School? Tithe map of 1846.http://tinyurl.com/kug9swt Looking at this it does look to be the original school and on the 1851 - 1854 Old Maps website just to the north of St Stephens church is Headingley Quarry    Thanks Mick,Possibly Leeds oldest school then! On the 1851 OS map there's a large feature upriver of Kirkstall Abbey with some antique writing by it. It looks like something to do with the old mill system but whatever is marked there isn't the Mill which is by the abbey or the mill pond which was over the road.I can't enlarge the "old maps" anymore but you may have the genius to work out what that says/is marking??

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

The Parksider wrote: uncle mick wrote: Quote ParksiderAs you go down Morris Lane the first school building looks like an add on but I think its an original "school house" and I wonder if this is Leeds oldest School? Tithe map of 1846.http://tinyurl.com/kug9swt Looking at this it does look to be the original school and on the 1851 - 1854 Old Maps website just to the north of St Stephens church is Headingley Quarry     Thanks Mick,Possibly Leeds oldest school then! On the 1851 OS map there's a large feature upriver of Kirkstall Abbey with some antique writing by it. It looks like something to do with the old mill system but whatever is marked there isn't the Mill which is by the abbey or the mill pond which was over the road.I can't enlarge the "old maps" anymore but you may have the genius to work out what that says/is marking??I can't help you with your query but found this regarding the school."St Stephens church school dates back to 1822"http://www.kirkstallmills.net/listing.pdf