LS11 The Dry Salters

Ale & Local History combined. Secret Leeds Heaven!
tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

Probably still going on the ring road at the border of Beeston and Cottingley. Brick built probably of the 50's or 60's. Dry salting is a method of preserving meat. Is that why it is named and if so was there a curing business in the vicinity?
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

tyke bhoy wrote: Probably still going on the ring road at the border of Beeston and Cottingley. Brick built probably of the 50's or 60's. Dry salting is a method of preserving meat. Is that why it is named and if so was there a curing business in the vicinity? There was the English and Continental Casing Company on Elland Road (they made sausage skins not packing cases)
Industria Omnia Vincit

Bramley4woods

Post by Bramley4woods »

tyke bhoy wrote: Probably still going on the ring road at the border of Beeston and Cottingley. Brick built probably of the 50's or 60's. Dry salting is a method of preserving meat. Is that why it is named and if so was there a curing business in the vicinity? But that's not what a Dry Salter did !They sold the chemicals, not just common salt, to do the preserving of meat, skins, and fabrics. They also sold dyes so you could have black, brown or red (etc) leather shoes. Until recently there had been at least one tannery at the bottom of Churwell Hill for a very long time. Elland Road was also part of the pack horse route from the salt mines in Cheshire, so it's quite on the cards that there would be a store supplying the necessary chemicals close by.
We wanted to make Leeds a better place for the future - but we're losing it. The tide is going out beneath our feet.

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

It is why I asked the question. The Tannery theory makes more sense as I too am aware there were Tannery's in the vicinity but have never come across the term dry salting in anything other than preservation of foodstuffs. The skin that surrounds the foodstuffs is but a small difference but as I say I have never heard it applied to the treatment of hides
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

tyke bhoy wrote: It is why I asked the question. The Tannery theory makes more sense as I too am aware there were Tannery's in the vicinity but have never come across the term dry salting in anything other than preservation of foodstuffs. The skin that surrounds the foodstuffs is but a small difference but as I say I have never heard it applied to the treatment of hides I worked at Ingle's Tannery (Millshaw) briefly in the sixties and I'd never heard of it either. However, that's not to say it isn't so.
Industria Omnia Vincit

AndyB

Re: LS11 The Dry Salters

Post by AndyB »

An answer is given in this link - the first landlord was connected with the drysalters trade
https://www.leeds-live.co.uk/best-in-le ... t-19470474