LS1 General Elliot

Ale & Local History combined. Secret Leeds Heaven!
Loiner in Cyprus

Re: LS1 General Elliot

Post by Loiner in Cyprus »

Whilst scrolling down this page I noticed Blakey's name. I haven't seen any if his informative, and often amusing, posts recently. Does anyone know if he is okay?

tilly

Post by tilly »

I was thinking the same thing its a while since he posted i hope he is ok .
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

volvojack wrote:In the late 1950s when i was courting my future wife we usd to meet every lunchtime and go upstairs in the Elliot, we wer always the only ones and although it was quite nice it looked as though it was not used very often. We would never have gone downstairs as in those days City Centre pubs were always busy at Lunchtimes and the clientele wa quite varied.
As for its age i would think it was a very old pub judging by its decor etc. in those days.

P.S. Just scrolling back through previous pages and notice that in 2014 i posted a similar one to this , in that i mentioned that the girl was now my Ex. Wife, Thank Goodness.
Cheers for that Jack :).

As mentioned by Loiner in Cyprus and tilly I also hope that Blakey is OK as his posts and recollections were always very interesting.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

dogduke

Post by dogduke »

By coincidence I was also wondering mid week about Blakey.
His last post on SL was last June,however he has commented on his Flickr site in the last 2 months.
Shout up if you are out there Chris!
Consciousness: That annoying time between naps.90% of being smart is knowing what you're dumb at.

TABBYCAT

Post by TABBYCAT »

Leodian wrote:
volvojack wrote:In the late 1950s when i was courting my future wife we usd to meet every lunchtime and go upstairs in the Elliot, we wer always the only ones and although it was quite nice it looked as though it was not used very often. We would never have gone downstairs as in those days City Centre pubs were always busy at Lunchtimes and the clientele wa quite varied.
As for its age i would think it was a very old pub judging by its decor etc. in those days.

P.S. Just scrolling back through previous pages and notice that in 2014 i posted a similar one to this , in that i mentioned that the girl was now my Ex. Wife, Thank Goodness.
Cheers for that Jack :).

As mentioned by Loiner in Cyprus and tilly I also hope that Blakey is OK as his posts and recollections were always very interesting.
Not just interesting Leodian but very much like your photography,if you'll accept the compliment, Blakey's recollections are an excellent factual record of,in this case, of Leeds former public transport system.

iansmithofotley

Post by iansmithofotley »

Hi everyone,

Just for your information, Chris Youhill posted on Facebook (Memories of Leeds) at 10.49hrs on 31st March 2017, on a 'tram related' thread.

Ian

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

Can't find some where to post this but any way here goes. Came up to see family living in Cross gates and Garforth. As the "Best Western " Hotel at South Milford is far away the best we usually stay there. This time as we were only coming up early Sunday Morning and going back down to Gloucester Tuesday we decided to book at the Holiday Inn on the roundabout near Garforth. We were not supposed to take the Room at 3.pm. we arrived at about 1.30. we asked if it would be possible to go in earlier and Reception had a look and maybe 30 minutes. So we sat in the Lounge and were very surprised when the Receptionist brought us Two large coffees and two packs of biscuits.
When we went in the room i thought the bottom sheet looked a bit creased but my wife said i just me and my imagine. When a little later and it got colder the Central Heating would not work. They rustled up a Radiator which was o.k.
Following day off we went to see Relatives and when we came back about Four pm. the room was just as we had left it. Complained to the Reception and he brought us clean Towels.Heating was not fixed his excuse was the Cleaning staff go off duty at Lunchtime.
Many excuses and apologies when we checked out but Our Lass would insist on paying the Bill although the person on Receptionfilled us up with promises for next time...... there won't be a next time even we have stayed there a few times and been quite satisfied

Could someone Please transfer this to the appropriate thread Ta.