LS1 General Elliot

Ale & Local History combined. Secret Leeds Heaven!
munki

Post by munki »

Posted by wiggyas for general elliot,well he seems to have been a national hero and favorite of george lll,a great soldier and tactition,commander at the siege of gibralter,a siege that lasted three years,but he won and came home a hero,having many pubs named after him about 20 years before nelson and wellington got their similar honours.
'Are we surprised that men perish, when monuments themselves decay? For death comes even to stones and the names they bear.' - Ausonius.

munki

Post by munki »

Can anyone find a picture of General Elliot himself?Anyone know his dates of birth & death? & what was his connection to Leeds? Why do we have a pub named after him?
'Are we surprised that men perish, when monuments themselves decay? For death comes even to stones and the names they bear.' - Ausonius.

grumpytramp

Post by grumpytramp »

There were two General Elliot's prominent in British Military History, General Roger Elliott who was the father of General Granville Elliott.I would think that Roger Elliott was the man the pubs are named after as he certainily seems to have seen quite a bit of 'action' in campaigns throughout Europe (been wounded on a number of occasions), before raising his own regiment "Colonel Elliott's Regiment of Foot". Ultimately he became Governer of Gibralter in 1707, before returning to England in 1712 and dying in 1715.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roger_ElliottHis son Granville Elliott, followed his fathers career serving in various european armies before joining the British Army and serving with distinction in the Seven Years War and like his father being wounded at the Battle of Minden but died of his wounds 9 weeks later.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Granville_ElliottA nice selection of family protraits here:http://users.tpg.com.au/peliot/genealogy.html

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

grumpytramp wrote: There were two General Elliot's prominent in British Military History, General Roger Elliott who was the father of General Granville Elliott.I would think that Roger Elliott was the man the pubs are named after as he certainily seems to have seen quite a bit of 'action' in campaigns throughout Europe (been wounded on a number of occasions), before raising his own regiment "Colonel Elliott's Regiment of Foot". Ultimately he became Governer of Gibralter in 1707, before returning to England in 1712 and dying in 1715.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roger_ElliottHis son Granville Elliott, followed his fathers career serving in various european armies before joining the British Army and serving with distinction in the Seven Years War and like his father being wounded at the Battle of Minden but died of his wounds 9 weeks later.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Granville_ElliottA nice selection of family protraits here:http://users.tpg.com.au/peliot/genealogy.html Judging by the pictures on wikipedia i would say that the younger Elliot was the man that the pub is named after.The pub sign shows a balding chap in a redcoat,which in design would appear to be more comtemporary with the mid 18th century as opposed to the late 17th century when the elder Elliot would have been in the army.
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

Wasn't there a picture of him on the sign outside the pub at one time?
Industria Omnia Vincit

LS1

Post by LS1 »

There was also a lot of blurb about him outside on one of the panels on Vicar Lane. I tried to havea look a while ago but notied that it is painted out now.

Clankylad

Post by Clankylad »

I suspect that the dump, sorry, pub, is named after the Gibraltar Eliot, as there was a map of Gibraltar on the sign.
"This is the North. We do what we like."

Croggy

Post by Croggy »

From Gibraltar's offical website Quote: The Eliott MemorialIn 1815 General Don had requested of the Secretary of State for the Colonies, the Earl Bathurst, permission to construct a rotunda with a memorial to General Sir George Augustus Eliott. This did not materialise in the form originally requested, but a "colossal" statue of General Eliot, carved from the bowsprit of the Spanish man-o-war San Juan, taken at Trafalgar was placed at the top of the Heathfield Steps, leading up to the south of Grand Parade. That statue was taken to the Convent, the Governor's residence, where it stands today, when a bronze bust of General Eliott replaced it in 1858. It stands on a marble pillar and was presented to Gibraltar by a descendant of the General. Like elsewhere in Gibraltar, sites within the gardens have been used to display examples of guns in Gibraltar or connected with British military history. Thus around Eliott's column are placed three 10 inch howitzers made in 1783 and one 8 inch howitzer dating from 1778. Don't know about his association with Leeds, though ...

wiggy

Post by wiggy »

Croggy wrote: From Gibraltar's offical website Quote: The Eliott MemorialIn 1815 General Don had requested of the Secretary of State for the Colonies, the Earl Bathurst, permission to construct a rotunda with a memorial to General Sir George Augustus Eliott. This did not materialise in the form originally requested, but a "colossal" statue of General Eliot, carved from the bowsprit of the Spanish man-o-war San Juan, taken at Trafalgar was placed at the top of the Heathfield Steps, leading up to the south of Grand Parade. That statue was taken to the Convent, the Governor's residence, where it stands today, when a bronze bust of General Eliott replaced it in 1858. It stands on a marble pillar and was presented to Gibraltar by a descendant of the General. Like elsewhere in Gibraltar, sites within the gardens have been used to display examples of guns in Gibraltar or connected with British military history. Thus around Eliott's column are placed three 10 inch howitzers made in 1783 and one 8 inch howitzer dating from 1778. Don't know about his association with Leeds, though ... i don't think he has any real association with leeds,as there are general elliot pubs in many many towns and cities,as there are pubs called lord nelsons and lord wellingtons too.
i do believe,induced by potent circumstances,that thou art' mine enemy?

wiggy

Post by wiggy »

munki wrote: Can anyone find a picture of General Elliot himself?Anyone know his dates of birth & death? & what was his connection to Leeds? Why do we have a pub named after him?
i do believe,induced by potent circumstances,that thou art' mine enemy?