Features - Tunnels Under City Station

The Darker Arches
chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

big_rob2004 wrote: Lol i meant info... tunnelling is where you would be excavating wouldn't it lolI would love to get involved in some of your Info Expeditions so I would buy as many pints as you require! (He'll be bankcrupt if Kanpi Girl goes along won't he Phill? But then, that would be enough to gain a few extra followers )

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

Yeah she's a very class lady.Champers for her lol He'll need to be quite mad too.    
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

stutterdog

Post by stutterdog »

Just seen the pics .Fantastic! I remember when I was a kid at school,one of our teachers told us about these tunnels and about 6 of us planned to go down to Leeds and find them.We went along to the garage under the dark arches but a guy there wouldn't let us go in.
ex-Armley lad

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

Hows csnosi doing with our little visit then?
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

Donna1978

Post by Donna1978 »

Hi, I would be extremely interested in a tour of the underground tunnels. Any idea how I get this organised?Thanks
Donna Ball

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

Donna1978 wrote: Hi, I would be extremely interested in a tour of the underground tunnels. Any idea how I get this organised?Thanks You've no chance lol, Network rail don't entertain tours under there i'm afraid. The best you can hope for is the public area along what was Granary Wharf. You can see this area here ok.http://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/943360924/And this area herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/279089 ... otostream/

Chrism

Post by Chrism »

Phill_d wrote: Yeah great stuff there munki.. Nice shots too.. Did you notice the little drilled holes in the stonework as well? They were drilled by hand so they could be lifted into place by some sort of pulley they devised that wedged into the holes when there were lifted up. you can see them in this shot They're called chain dogs Phill.
Attachments
__TFMF_onitxg45agfwmnbtovwnp245_16a2327d-f321-45e5-bde5-9cf852f438f9_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_onitxg45agfwmnbtovwnp245_16a2327d-f321-45e5-bde5-9cf852f438f9_0_main.jpg (21.35 KiB) Viewed 2080 times
Sit thissen dahn an' tell us abaht it.

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

Some on the swinegate side are open for parking as well.

greenhow302

Post by greenhow302 »

In the late 70's I worked for a short time in one the shops in the large block on the south side of Boar Lane, between Lower Briggate and what is Trevelyen Square.The shop had a steep flight of steps leading down from the back of it into a cellar which had one of those metal lift type sliding doors at one end which was open. Through this led to a tunnel running in both directions parallel with Boar Lane with similar sliding doors on both sides. The light in our area only shone so far and as no one else would go down into the cellar I didn't look further. I seem to remember that the tunnel was certainly walking height and probably about 10ft across, with what appeared to be low pavements at each side.Question is - what was it? I always assumed that the whole building had been some sort of factory and that this had something to do with it. As the tunnel runs in the general direction of the station I wonder if it was some sort of way to get good through?

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

greenhow302 wrote: In the late 70's I worked for a short time in one the shops in the large block on the south side of Boar Lane, between Lower Briggate and what is Trevelyen Square.The shop had a steep flight of steps leading down from the back of it into a cellar which had one of those metal lift type sliding doors at one end which was open. Through this led to a tunnel running in both directions parallel with Boar Lane with similar sliding doors on both sides. The light in our area only shone so far and as no one else would go down into the cellar I didn't look further. I seem to remember that the tunnel was certainly walking height and probably about 10ft across, with what appeared to be low pavements at each side.Question is - what was it? I always assumed that the whole building had been some sort of factory and that this had something to do with it. As the tunnel runs in the general direction of the station I wonder if it was some sort of way to get good through? That is fascinating. No doubt some of the Leeds Historical Exploration Society will soon be sniffing around the area if they don't already know. It reminds me of the passage/tunnel that is reported to run under Thornton's Arcade and which has doors leading off. I asked about this to assistants in one of the shops in the arcade some while back but they had never heard of it.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.