What and where no. 28

How well do you know Leeds?
drapesy

Post by drapesy »

Oops ' sorry for the delay - Rikj was spot on - nice one. .Its a strane structure, obviously originally a gateway - the hinges are still visible.- and it looks like its not in its original place.
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.

Si

Post by Si »

How high is it, Drapesy? The underside of the lintel looks less than six foot, but it's difficult to tell.

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

Si wrote: How high is it, Drapesy? The underside of the lintel looks less than six foot, but it's difficult to tell. Its probably about 12 foot high overall - theres plenty of room to walk under the lintel - which is probably 8-9 foot from the ground.
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.

Si

Post by Si »

That big?!! The lintel must weigh tons! Surprising it hasn't been pulled down for H&S reasons, like many (much smaller) gravestones. I compared a 1947 aerial photo of New Wortley Cemetary with Google Earth and more than 50% of the stones have gone (including two of my great grandparents.) Anyone know where all these stones have gone?

electricaldave

Post by electricaldave »

I saw this in St Georges fields cemetary for the first time today.You can see the marks inside where is was probably boarded up at some point and there are the remains of green paint (Leeds Corporation Green) around the inside.I was intrigued to wonder what made the marks that you can see on the lower right hand upright, like a sort of starburst shape, where was this taken from I wonder, I assume whatever it was it had to have been something to do with the cemetary.

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Si wrote: That big?!! The lintel must weigh tons! Surprising it hasn't been pulled down for H&S reasons, like many (much smaller) gravestones. I compared a 1947 aerial photo of New Wortley Cemetary with Google Earth and more than 50% of the stones have gone (including two of my great grandparents.) Anyone know where all these stones have gone? Si, they shouldn't have been disposed of, technically they remain the property of the oldest surviving relative and could even if you wished, be claimed back!

Si

Post by Si »

Thanks, Cameleon. I'll look into it.Si