Mystery Esso Petrol Station

How well do you know Leeds?
TABBYCAT

Re: Mystery Esso Petrol Station

Post by TABBYCAT »

Also the "flyover" appears to have windows inset if you look just above the road sign and to the right of the Carlsberg advertising hording.

jim

Post by jim »

I don't see a flyover - if it were such I would expect it to have much deeper retaining side walls to prevent vehicles/pedestrians falling off it. Is it more likely to be a canopy of some sort?

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

Nope, absolutely no proof that its a flyover at all. There is a metal structure that runs the full width of the photo though. Yes it could be a canopy but it would be a fairly extensive one. As for side walls yes I would expect to see more substantial side walls unless of course it wasn't fully built. There do seem to be 3 15-20 foot poles which may be supporting a mesh fence. Of course if it had only been a recent installation there would probably be more construction evidence.
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

mhoulden

Post by mhoulden »

I've managed to get hold of the petrol stations and petrol distributors sections from the 1976 Yellow Pages. Could it be somewhere near the old oil terminal just off South Accommodation Rd in Hunslet, with the building on the right being South Point? It doesn't quite match but I'm not sure where else it could be if it is indeed in Leeds.
Attachments
Petrol Stations 2 1976.png
Petrol Stations 2 1976.png (631.55 KiB) Viewed 4520 times
Petrol Stations 1 1976.png
Petrol Stations 1 1976.png (109.54 KiB) Viewed 4520 times
Petrol Dist 1976.png
Petrol Dist 1976.png (1.07 MiB) Viewed 4520 times

Bruno

Post by Bruno »

[quote="tyke bhoy"]There do seem to be 3 15-20 foot poles which may be supporting a mesh fence. quote]

I don't think they are poles - the fact that they are aligned exactly 3 windows apart on the building seems too much of a coincidence to me. I think they might be fall-pipes on the building itself.
The older I get, the better I was.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Where the location is has become very interesting. I look forward to finding where, but no doubt when it is solved it will then be obvious! ;)

In the list of petrol stations in 1976 in mhoulden's excellent listing there is "Headrow Filling Station, Eastgate 2 Leeds 35660". I guess this will be what I know of as Appleyards but if so I would be interested to find out when it stopped selling petrol as I cannot recall when (sorry for going off-topic there).

I like the old location and 3 figure phone numbers of some of the petrol stations. :P
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

mhoulden

Post by mhoulden »

The most recent photo I've found of Appleyard's as a petrol station is this one. from 1992:

By then it must have been difficult to get on and off such a busy roundabout, and if it did care sales as well... In 1998 came the planning application to turn it into a fountain.

warringtonrhino

Post by warringtonrhino »

The brick building below the canopy seems to stop and become a different building above it.
I would expect a brick building of that size to have a pitched roof.
It is not a steel framed building which could have a flat roof, so where has the roof gone?

The glazed building to the right of the canopy seems to stop at the canopy edge.
For structural stability I would have expected a brick/masonry corner.
Not a glazed panel as in the photo, so where has the corner of the building gone?

Behind the petrol price banners there is an advertising hoarding.
Behind is what looks like the fascia canopy for the building above the road sign.

The low and high buildings are different architecturally, which suggests they are not the same building, was a telephoto lens used?

The road sign seems small, considering that it is in front of the low building.

None of the buildings share the same perspective.
Either the buildings are all at different angles, which is not normal in an urban location.
Or the buildings are assembled using an assortment of different photographs.

j.c.d.

Post by j.c.d. »

mhoulden wrote:I've managed to get hold of the petrol stations and petrol distributors sections from the 1976 Yellow Pages. Could it be somewhere near the old oil terminal just off South Accommodation Rd in Hunslet, with the building on the right being South Point? It doesn't quite match but I'm not sure where else it could be if it is indeed in Leeds.

What's the problem then ? ...... just give them a ring. (sorry but could not resist.)
am looking forward to finding out where it was.

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

Its not South Acommodation :?
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?