Mystery Esso Petrol Station

How well do you know Leeds?
mhoulden

Mystery Esso Petrol Station

Post by mhoulden »

Pinched from the Secret Leeds 2 group, this photo appeared in the YEP a week or so ago. Posting as a W&W because I'm genuinely not sure where it is. It definitely isn't anywhere near Eastgate or the old British Gas building on Bridge St because the buildings don't match and there were no petrol stations around there except the one on Eastgate roundabout. Could it be the (now) BP garage at the junction of Harehills Lane and Newall Lane just before the Brown Hare? Apart from the roundabout sign it looks plausible. Knowing the YEP, it might not be in Leeds at all. Any ideas?
1017161_10204175768228019_8367735688169660905_n[1].jpg
1017161_10204175768228019_8367735688169660905_n[1].jpg (103.04 KiB) Viewed 4390 times

sparky415

Re: Mystery Esso Petrol Station

Post by sparky415 »

Not a clue!
Come on Leeds United!

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

Is the roundabout sign not hidden by a support for a fly-over or bridge. My first thought was Eastgate approaching Regent Street with the fly over being the inner ring road and the building behind being on New York Street. However as a 12 year old at the time I would remember a roundabout where regent street meets eastgate wouldn't I. What I can't remember is what did lie between the inner ring road and the Marquess of Granby
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

Fraid not, but defo not Airrills Lane near the Brown Hare and there was certainly no roundabout up there either
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

electricaldave

Post by electricaldave »

If you can find a way to blow up the car reg plates you might find out if they are Leeds registered vehicles

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

electricaldave wrote:If you can find a way to blow up the car reg plates you might find out if they are Leeds registered vehicles
I think its too low resolution and therefore pixelated. I tried to zoom in on the roundabout sign hence my observation of flyover
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

I think the building in the background is likely to hold the key. It looks a bit like the building that used to stand on York Rd where Iceland is now (Sumrie?), but I can't think of an Esso filling station around there...

There has been an Esso on Armley Rd for as long as I can remember. Could that be it?
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

j.c.d.

Post by j.c.d. »

Could it be the one that used to be on Burley road on the left hand side just before one came into the Westgate area ? this was the only 24 hour petrol station in Leeds in the late 1950s,

String o' beads

Post by String o' beads »

j.c.d. wrote:Could it be the one that used to be on Burley road on the left hand side just before one came into the Westgate area ? this was the only 24 hour petrol station in Leeds in the late 1950s,
My first thought was that the sign, because it looks to be downhill, was to Westgate Roundabout, but I couldn't find a street with that horrible 60-ish building that would fit.

j.c.d.

Post by j.c.d. »

raveydavey wrote:I think the building in the background is likely to hold the key. It looks a bit like the building that used to stand on York Rd where Iceland is now (Sumrie?), but I can't think of an Esso filling station around there...

There has been an Esso on Armley Rd for as long as I can remember. Could that be it?

Not that part of York Rd. as Sumries was, and still is, a rather low building. it certainly is a strange one. I am coming round to thinking more and more that as another member suggested that it is not in Leeds at all. we shall see.