Where is this 1914?

How well do you know Leeds?
Leodian

Where is this 1914?

Post by Leodian »

Where is this to be found in Leeds? I took the photo on October 16 2014. Cryptic clues for now please if you know it :). Note that the date is 100 years old this year (that is not cryptic).

I did a search of the old SL site just before it went down and have searched the new SL site and this does not seem to have been the direct subject of a previous W&W (the building it is at has however had indirect mentions).
Attachments
005R.jpg
005R.jpg (86.52 KiB) Viewed 4324 times
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

barnie

Re: Where is this 1914?

Post by barnie »

Not sure where this is sorry but just felt I had to comment on what a lovely door it is. ps Leodian I miss your old picture of a cat :(

LS1

Post by LS1 »

It was originally a bank I think, near where ladies of the night apparently once frequented.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Cheers barnie and LS1. :)

Yes LS1 "It was originally a bank I think, near where ladies of the night apparently once frequented" is right (well as far as I know of the ladies of the night!). I wonder what a penny for their thoughts would cost? ;) :P

PS. I'm still looking barnie for that, or another, cat image.

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

Leo
Attachments
Leodian.jpg
Leodian.jpg (7.05 KiB) Viewed 4231 times

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Cheers for getting me my old avatar uncle mick, which is appreciated :). I've even now worked out how much to reduce it so that it is not too big a file size for an avatar!

barnie

Post by barnie »

Good to see the old picture back again Leodian :) Thanks for sorting it out and to Uncle Mick for sending the picture through. Still none the wiser on the door. Is the blue stripe to the LHS part of some sort of hoarding/building site material?

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

barnie wrote:Good to see the old picture back again Leodian :) Thanks for sorting it out and to Uncle Mick for sending the picture through. Still none the wiser on the door. Is the blue stripe to the LHS part of some sort of hoarding/building site material?
Hi barnie. :)

The blue stripe is a bit of what seems to be just a decorative feature that runs along parts of the building that joins the building that has the 1914 door.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

It's time I think to give the location before this thread disappears too far down the list of Recent Topics. It is a door at what at one time was a branch of the Yorkshire Penny Bank (YPB) at the start of Regent Street (almost under the flyover) which seems currently to be used by ATS car servicing. In information that I've found, the YPB was established in 1859 (see a thread that I shall shortly start about this branch in the 'Signs of old leodis' thread). These photos were taken on October 16 2014. The door is on the Regent Street frontage about behind the light post.
Attachments
007R.jpg
007R.jpg (102.21 KiB) Viewed 4158 times
006R.jpg
006R.jpg (79.23 KiB) Viewed 4158 times