Old tram to Leeds-Guess where.

How well do you know Leeds?
Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

Made to measure, you don't see much like that these days really.I remember going in an old fashioned gents outfitters along Vicar Lane as a young lad, it could have actually been one of the shops on the front of Kirkgate Market. It's a long time ago now, probably 1971-74 so memory is a bit hazy. I remember thinking at the time how old fashioned it was inside, it was all hardwood cabinets with glass fronts, shelves and drawers all labelled neatly. You could see all the fittings would have been in the shop since the war. Even in those days it seemed old fashioned, and I can't really recall seeing many shops like it after that.I went in with my grandad, an old miner originally from Crofton near Wakefield. He went in for a new flat cap, he wouldn't go anywhere else for them, and he'd never go anywhere 'without his lid on' He never had much money, miners weren't paid well in those days, but he was always smart, and always wore a suit. You don't see old lads wearing suits, or flat caps that much these days. Come to think of it they're aren't many shops that you open the door and a bell rings when you go in.             
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

somme1916

Post by somme1916 »

Phill_dvsn wrote: Made to measure, you don't see much like that these days really.I remember going in an old fashioned gents outfitters along Vicar Lane as a young lad, it could have actually been one of the shops on the front of Kikgate Market. It's a long time ago now, probably 1971-74 so memory is a bit hazy. I remember thinking at the time how old fashioned it was inside, it was all hardwood cabinets with glass fronts, shelves and drawers all labelled neatly. You could see all the fittings would have been in the shop since the war. Even in those days it seemed old fashioned, and I can't really recall seeing many shops like it after that.I went in with my grandad, an old miner originally from Crofton near Wakefield. He went in for a new flat cap, he wouldn't go anywhere else for them, and he'd never go anywhere 'without his lid on' He never had much money, miners weren't paid well in those days, but he was always smart, and always wore a suit. You don't see old lads wearing suits, or flat caps that much these days.          Ha Ha Phill,                 I have an old pal,late 70's, from Sharlston(adjoining village) who's just the same.....always comes out wi 'a flat cap on,even in high summer.Old habits eh ?He worked at Sharlston pit and think for a time at Crofton colliery too.
        I'm not just anybody,I am sommebody !

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

somme1916 wrote: Ha Ha Phill,                 I have an old pal,late 70's, from Sharlston(adjoining village) who's just the same.....always comes out wi 'a flat cap on,even in high summer.Old habits eh ?He worked at Sharlston pit and think for a time at Crofton colliery too         They were great characters indeed, I always felt sorry for my grandad, it was hard work down the pit for a poor wage, but as long as he had a few bob spare for a pint at the weekend, he was happy enough He worked at a few pits, I think three in total, the last one was Allerton Bywater pit I think.    
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

Si

Post by Si »

This reminds me of being in a gents outfitters in the late 70s - could have been Greenwoods or Dunns. Collarless, or grandad shirts as we called them, were in at the time, and an old gentleman in a suit and flat cap was in the shop. He asked for a collarless shirt. The assistant climbed a ladder, and brought him the shirt. "And two collars with studs, please," he asked. "I'm afraid we don't stock them any more sir. There's no call for them," was the reply. "What's the bloody use of a shirt without a collar?" he said, and stormed out!    

somme1916

Post by somme1916 »

Phill_dvsn wrote: somme1916 wrote: Ha Ha Phill,                 I have an old pal,late 70's, from Sharlston(adjoining village) who's just the same.....always comes out wi 'a flat cap on,even in high summer.Old habits eh ?He worked at Sharlston pit and think for a time at Crofton colliery too         They were great characters indeed, I always felt sorry for my grandad, it was hard work down the pit for a poor wage, but as long as he had a few bob spare for a pint at the weekend, he was happy enough He worked at a few pits, I think three in total, the last one was Allerton Bywater. Very true.....he still "turns out" for a couple of pints most lunchtimes and even plays for the dominoes team once/week for his local club on games nights !

somme1916

Post by somme1916 »

gremlins in system.....last para was one i typed ! or sentence even.....    

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

It's great to see some tradition from the good old days, I used to have my haircut at Brunos on Harehills Road. Probably one of the last type of old fashioned gents hairdressers left in Leeds at the time.You could even have a proper cut throat razor shave, you got a dab of aftershave too.They were things like brillcreem, aftershave on sale. Little pots of shaving cream with brushes about. They even asked if 'you'd like something for the weekend' which I found highly amusing.It just made me laugh how difficult it must have been for young chaps in days gone by, some highly embarrassing moments, and standing outside of shops building up the courage to enter. I'm sure many young lad will have come out of a chemist with cough sweets they didn't really want         

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

Just found this 1960's photo of shops along Vicar Lane, I'm trying to recall the one I went in with my grandad. There is one called Peter Eastwood menswear. Although this photo is on the other side of the road. I'll keep looking.

somme1916

Post by somme1916 »

Phill_dvsn wrote: It's great to see some tradition from the good old days, I used to have my haircut at Brunos on Harehills Road. Probably one of the last type of old fashioned gents hairdressers left in Leeds at the time.You could even have a proper cut throat razor shave, you got a dab of aftershave too.They were things like brillcreem, aftershave on sale. Little pots of shaving cream with brushes about. They even asked if 'you'd like something for the weekend' which I found highly amusing.It just made me laugh how difficult it must have been for young chaps in days gone by, some highly embarrassing moments, and standing outside of shops building up the courage to enter. I'm sure many young lad will have come out of a chemist with cough sweets they didn't really want          Gives a whole new meaning to the expression "Cough and Drop" !

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

somme1916 wrote: Gives a whole new meaning to the expression "Cough and Drop" !