Old tram to Leeds-Guess where.

How well do you know Leeds?
Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

liits wrote: Phill was correct with the location, but try the photo this way around. It had been fliped so that it was reversed [look at the No Entry sign and the lettering on the shop signs]. Confusing, but not the right way.This is the site it came fromhttp://www.ruralroads.org/en/buses.shtmlPerhaps flipping images of Leeds might be good guess where's. Unless someone knows how to flip them back of course     
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

House rule - no flipping what&where's, so to speak, as it were.

liits

Post by liits »

I have a feeling that that photo is actuially a screen-shot from the "Leeds Trams" DVD.

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

liits wrote: I have a feeling that that photo is actuially a screen-shot from the "Leeds Trams" DVD. OOOh I've got that ! ( Mrs J wishes I hadn't ) Kirkgate Anglers in the background

book

Post by book »

book wrote: Phill_dvsn wrote: Just found this 1960's photo of shops along Vicar Lane, I'm trying to recall the one I went in with my grandad. There is one called Peter Eastwood menswear. Although this photo is on the other side of the road. I'll keep looking. My first job after leaving school was in that John Colliers on Vicar Lane Sorry to go off the main topic but was this building one large residence at some time? The entrance next to John Collier has a nice balcony above the entrance. Was this latterly a pub or hotel. The whole site look like it could have been a rich persons home, the two domes look like moorish architecture.
Is it me or has Leeds gone mad

liits

Post by liits »

book wrote: Sorry to go off the main topic but was this building one large residence at some time? The entrance next to John Collier has a nice balcony above the entrance. Was this latterly a pub or hotel. The whole site look like it could have been a rich persons home, the two domes look like moorish architecture. Part of it, the big ornate bit on the middle, was the Dolphin Hotel – there are terracotta dolphins in the stonework.The whole area having previously been known as the Shambles and the Leadenhall Slaughter house. It was redeveloped between 1898 and 1903 the building being designed by Frank Matcham, famous for his theatre designs.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

liits wrote: Phill was correct with the location, but try the photo this way around. It had been fliped so that it was reversed [look at the No Entry sign and the lettering on the shop signs]. It is a fascinating photo. This is a Google Street View that I've captured that shows a 2012 view of the area (you may need to click on the red cross). Some chimneys have gone but some of the stonework pattern and windows are still there. I did not seem to be able to save a direct link to the Google Street View for whatever reason though I'm sure I used to be able to do such a thing!
Attachments
__TFMF_zqhefpznnvz2w0msuwfgfk55_546e34a8-9718-46e6-97a1-9af6bfeca3d7_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_zqhefpznnvz2w0msuwfgfk55_546e34a8-9718-46e6-97a1-9af6bfeca3d7_0_main.jpg (159.48 KiB) Viewed 2451 times
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

pablo leeds

Post by pablo leeds »

where is the red cross/2012 view Leodian? sounds good

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

Youmay see a red cross at the top of Leodian's post, above the picture of the tram, or in the case of a mac you see a blue question mark. Click on that and it should open the picture.

Tasa

Post by Tasa »

To add to Cardiarms' advice above, if you're using Mozilla Firefox, you will see the words "Submit query" at the top of Leodian's post. Although it doesn't look like a link (i.e. not underlined), it is, so click on those words and you'll see the picture.