Can anyone identify this bus?

How well do you know Leeds?
BillyBritvic

Post by BillyBritvic »

I recently posted a where is this? which was hastely answered by Cardiarms, anyway thers a another pic of the same location slightly different angle with a double deck bus in it, its not LCT but no discernable livery or company name can be seen, is it possible that one of you knowledgable chaps may know or have an educated guess?Thanks for taking the time to look,Billy.
Attachments
__TFMF_kemyqxf20itfpnirixdwqr55_b5a00264-7de8-4855-bbd0-fedb2a98fbfd_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_kemyqxf20itfpnirixdwqr55_b5a00264-7de8-4855-bbd0-fedb2a98fbfd_0_main.jpg (205.53 KiB) Viewed 1846 times
The longer we live the older we get

book

Post by book »

It could be a Sammy Ledgard bus, I think they were still operating at that time.
Is it me or has Leeds gone mad

BillyBritvic

Post by BillyBritvic »

book wrote: It could be a Sammy Ledgard bus, I think they were still operating at that time. If it helps any further it would have either come down Park Row, or possibly Infirmary Street and is about to turn right in front of the Queens Hotel towards the Majestyk.

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

This is a real stinker and so far a total mystery to me. Although Samuel Ledgard was still running in 1954/5, and there were various liveries under trial after the death of Samuel himself in April 1952, this is almost certainly not one of their vehicles. They didn't ever even try any "all the same blue" colour schemes, and they always had prominent fleet names on both sides. I cannot recall or identify the product in the upper saloon advert. Most importantly the huge sweep out at the top of the mudguard is totally baffling. Ledgard buses could have been in that location on the Bradford via Pudsey service, as could Yorkshire Woollen from Queen Street and West Yorkshire in those days used East Parade and not Park Row so all those three operators are virtually ruled out. There is a neat fleet number over the fuel filler cap and, possibly, seems to be a conductor within taking fares - but the whole thing is beyond me - a real puzzler this, especially to those of us closely involved with bus services in the area at the time !!     
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

DAYoung

Post by DAYoung »

Possibly a Roe-bodied all-red Yorkshire (YWD) bus.D. A. Young

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

DAYoung wrote: Possibly a Roe-bodied all-red Yorkshire (YWD) bus.D. A. Young Good shout, the YWD livery just might match on a Black & White photohttp://www.old-bus-photos.co.uk/?p=819
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

DAYoung wrote: Possibly a Roe-bodied all-red Yorkshire (YWD) bus.D. A. Young Oh dear - egg on my face again as I'm supposed to be an afficianado of all things Leeds Bus scene over the years.Top marks to DAYoung and to Phill D as I'm sure that's spot on. I was misled by the optical illusion which makes the front mudguard appear to protrude about a foot (ridiculous of course) from the bodywork and by the abnormal lack of the "Yorkshire" fleetname.Having studied a similar photo of Samuel Ledgard's JUA 763 (one of my all time favourites to work on either end) there is no doubt - 763 was also a utility Guy Arab rebodied indentically by Roe. In Billy's picture the rear half shaft (although blurred) is definitely the Guy fitting, and the position of the fuel filler, cab door and step etc are exactly right. As my old teachers used to put in my reports "Must concentrate and try harder."     
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

Bruno

Post by Bruno »

BLAKEY wrote: I cannot recall or identify the product in the upper saloon advert. The blurry image on the right of the advert looks like an open packet of cigarettes? It looks like very plain packaging. Could it be Player's Navy Cut? Compare this image:http://www.dockmuseum.org/detail.php?t= ... &record=65
The older I get, the better I was.

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

Bruno wrote: BLAKEY wrote: I cannot recall or identify the product in the upper saloon advert. The blurry image on the right of the advert looks like an open packet of cigarettes? It looks like very plain packaging. Could it be Player's Navy Cut? Compare this image:http://www.dockmuseum.org/detail.php?t= ... &record=65 Yes Bruno I'm sure its an open cigarette packet as you say, but not a hinged lid type as in the link, rather the old pattern of "twenty" packet where the inner container with hinged flap pushed upwards within the outer sleeve to allow access to the fags. The "tens" were in similar designed packets in those days. Well spotted and it could have been Players Navy Cut or possibly Capstan Full Strength ??

BillyBritvic

Post by BillyBritvic »

Hello everyone, thank you for taking the time to ponder the photo, and thanks for the suggestions, great stuff. I am sure you all are the same as myself with old photos, very sentimental, and wanting to know all the info, thanks again chaps.