osmondthorpe villas

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
caz

Post by caz »

i am researching my family tree and my mam lived with her aunt at osmondthorpe villas, york road, in 1926 before she went to live in australia, but i cannot find any trace of the address to say where abouts it was, can anyone help please, thanks

wiggy

Post by wiggy »

caz wrote: i am researching my family tree and my mam lived with her aunt at osmondthorpe villas, york road, in 1926 before she went to live in australia, but i cannot find any trace of the address to say where abouts it was, can anyone help please, thanks check out the older houses around the victorias area,some are older and have names,or some of the older buildings on ozzy lane.some were built a few years before the rest of the streets....hope this helps.
i do believe,induced by potent circumstances,that thou art' mine enemy?

caz

Post by caz »

thanks for that, i will try, thanks

wiggy

Post by wiggy »

caz wrote: thanks for that, i will try, thanks i am sure it is up on that high spot,near where the butchers was,on torre road roundabout.i remember thinking it was a bit away from what we would normally think of as osmondthorpe...

caz

Post by caz »

do you know if it would be flats or something of that kind,as the address was 10 osmondthorpe villas, would it have been a large old house that maybe could have been made into flats, thanks for your help

wiggy

Post by wiggy »

caz wrote: do you know if it would be flats or something of that kind,as the address was 10 osmondthorpe villas, would it have been a large old house that maybe could have been made into flats, thanks for your help they are big old late victorian houses,so could well of been flats,but sometimes a few houses may have been called that,before the rest of the street was built.the names are usually above the doors,carved in the stone.

osmond

Post by osmond »

The row known as Osmondthorpe Villas are numbers 10 - 56 Osmondthorpe Lane, Leeds 9, built around 1900. It took 10 years to build the whole row. At the time the houses were build they would have been individual terrace houses, not flats.