Dissappearing seacroft

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

At the top of the York Road past the Green there is a really interesting old methodist church, or so I thought as I passed yesterday. I can't see it - just an office block for rent and a doctors surgery!!Lower down the village on the right the bull dozers have moved in and moe clearance.The old Hall stands out a bit more with the removal of a couple of trees and has "demolition" written al over it (metaphorically speaking) - dissapperaing Seacroft??

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

The Parksider wrote: At the top of the York Road past the Green there is a really interesting old methodist church, or so I thought as I passed yesterday. I can't see it - just an office block for rent and a doctors surgery!!Lower down the village on the right the bull dozers have moved in and moe clearance.The old Hall stands out a bit more with the removal of a couple of trees and has "demolition" written al over it (metaphorically speaking) - dissapperaing Seacroft?? You're a little of target Parksider - the Methodist Church is much lower down, set back from the road by the bend and partially hidden.I think you are refering to The Grange - the Hall went many years ago with Parklands High School now occupying thae site. A Grade 2 listed building and topic of some contention in that the Developers of the Seacroft Centre were supposed to revitalise the Grange but seemingly and possibly because of a rather tenuous contract, they have so far managed to avoid parting with any money for this.It has over the years been ravaged, the stone roof disappeared, the inards vandalised and the structure being left to the usual fate of such buildings. A notice requiring urgent works was served - that resulted in metal cladding being applied to keep the rain out!It transpires that the 'viable option' may now be to allow an alternative devloper to errect rather in congruous housing arround the area. Although preserved in the letter of the requirement, the old Windmill near by has almost disappeared in the creeping hotel built arround it, I suspect the same will happen here - assuming something is done before demolition becomes the only option. The Grange has been discussed in passing in several threads.

The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

Am I losing it Chameleon or anyone else.As I sauntered down the York Road I passed....1. petrol Station2. Office block for lease3. Grange medical centre with Lloyds pharmacy4. Seacroft Grange Thinking I must be mad I turned around and went back up to see if I had missed the methodist chapel.No...Then went back down and looked again...No methodist chapel again.Have I lost it anyone??

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

The Parksider wrote: Am I losing it Chameleon or anyone else.As I sauntered down the York Road I passed....1. petrol Station2. Office block for lease3. Grange medical centre with Lloyds pharmacy4. Seacroft Grange Thinking I must be mad I turned around and went back up to see if I had missed the methodist chapel.No...Then went back down and looked again...No methodist chapel again.Have I lost it anyone?? No, Simply mispalced - keep walking!Below the Grange is the Green and then St James' Church, keep going....As you round the bend to the left, look carefully to the right....http://www.queensview.co.uk/images/meth ... church.JPG

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

The Parksider wrote: Am I losing it Chameleon or anyone else.As I sauntered down the York Road I passed....1. petrol Station2. Office block for lease3. Grange medical centre with Lloyds pharmacy4. Seacroft Grange Thinking I must be mad I turned around and went back up to see if I had missed the methodist chapel.No...Then went back down and looked again...No methodist chapel again.Have I lost it anyone?? No, Simply mispalced - keep walking!Below the Grange is the Green and then St James' Church, keep going....As you round the bend to the left, look carefully to the right ....http://www.queensview.co.uk/images/meth ... church.JPG
Attachments
__TFMF_gtnp3zyisdvj5555j45olj55_9228b581-17a0-48b8-9ccd-5190ba53a978_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_gtnp3zyisdvj5555j45olj55_9228b581-17a0-48b8-9ccd-5190ba53a978_0_main.jpg (157.39 KiB) Viewed 2080 times

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

(Last post - The red square is a little small but marks the spot!)

The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

chameleon wrote: The Parksider wrote: Am I losing it Chameleon or anyone else.As I sauntered down the York Road I passed....1. petrol Station2. Office block for lease3. Grange medical centre with Lloyds pharmacy4. Seacroft Grange Thinking I must be mad I turned around and went back up to see if I had missed the methodist chapel.No...Then went back down and looked again...No methodist chapel again.Have I lost it anyone?? No, Simply mispalced - keep walking!Below the Grange is the Green and then St James' Church, keep going....As you round the bend to the left, look carefully to the right ....http://www.queensview.co.uk/images/meth ... church.JPG Thanks for that - of course the methodist Chapel is down there, but I am certain that there was another chapel - maybe "non-conformist" or somethig else north of the green past the Grange and on the left as you climb up towards the windmill roundabout.My cousin saw it a couple of years back and went in, he told me about it and as I'd lived round there 20 years I drove by to see it and lo and behold there it was. Very historic looking little red brick building.Google has been updated of course and shows the Grance nedical centre and the yet to be rented out new office block. I reckon it was there prio to the office block. I'll seek out my cousin and ask....

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

I don't know of any other church of any denomination in the village but stand (or sit!) to be corrected of course.The older maps show little building around the Grange, the Medical centre and nearby offices having being there for many years now.I also have a little book, 'Seacroft Remembered with a plan and 40-50 small old photographs going back to about 1900, when my family lived there, but this makes no mention either. Intriguing.

The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

chameleon wrote: I don't know of any other church of any denomination in the village but stand (or sit!) to be corrected of course.The older maps show little building around the Grange, the Medical centre and nearby offices having being there for many years now.I also have a little book, 'Seacroft Remembered with a plan and 40-50 small old photographs going back to about 1900, when my family lived there, but this makes no mention either. Intriguing. I'll ask my cousin and come back on this. Have those offices really been there a significant time bacause as they are up for lease I thought they were new and had been built on the site of that chapel.

electricaldave

Post by electricaldave »

Here is a view that may show things up s little.http://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?reso ... SPLAY=FULL