Newbie with questions.......

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
lister

Post by lister »

Hi All,I have been reading secret leeds for a couple of months now after some snippets were posted on another forum I read. I had never really given much interest to the city's history/secrets before but it now has me hooked (particulary reading the article on the town hall)! As I'm a total beginner I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction with regards to some good books to begin with?I would also be interested in any information people have about the history of East End Park (the Park/Grounds in particular) as before moving to roundhay 6 months ago I spent all my life living there without giving it a second though! Once again I have had great fun reading the topics posted on here and hope to be able to contribute (or at least ask some annoying questions) in the furture. Some posters must put in a lot of time and effort, obviously fuelled by a great love for the city, to uncover this information so thank you and keep up the good work!!lister

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

Personally I think Steven Burt and Kevin Grady's 'Illustrated History of Leeds' is the best history of our City yet produced.
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.

simonm

Post by simonm »

drapesy wrote: Personally I think Steven Burt and Kevin Grady's 'Illustrated History of Leeds' is the best history of our City yet produced. Aye, I echo that. The book really is a cracking read and a fantastic reference.
I WANT TO BE IN THE "INCROWD" :)"Those who sacrifice Liberty for security deserve neither!!"

The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

I'd reccomend you buy all the Alan Godfrey reprints of Leeds maps. Google it to get the site.The maps show how Leeds was and the notes on the reverse are stunning stuff.History is more than just stuff about Briggate, the parish church, the corn exchange and certain "worthies".....

lister

Post by lister »

thanks for the input guys I will check both out!

rikj

Post by rikj »

You can get a lot of the Alan Godfrey maps at Waterstones. East End Park is on Yorkshire Sheet 218.07, Leeds (Osmondthorpe & Neville Hill). Find out about how rhubarb affected the history of the area! And the lake that used to be in the park...And where the hill in the park came from...And where the racecourse used to be...Happy reading.

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

Hi ListerA trip to the local studies room at the central library is worth a visit.Its in the Family History section and there are loads and loads of books/maps/studies/reports on Leeds.If i remember correctly there are some booklets on the East end park area,i think produced by some of the older residents who contributed stories etc to a local researcher.If i wasnt spending my spare time going through parish registers i would be sifting through the volumes of Leeds stuff
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

slw

Post by slw »

Does anybody know if there are any books with info on (an in particular) pictures of Reynolds & Branson, which was on Lower Briggate. I've had a look on Leodis but can only find one picture.Thanks for your help. S

roundhegian

Post by roundhegian »

drapesy wrote: Personally I think Steven Burt and Kevin Grady's 'Illustrated History of Leeds' is the best history of our City yet produced. Found a copy at Amazon - priced at a little under thirty-eight pounds !
roundhegian

oldleedsman

Post by oldleedsman »

slw wrote: Does anybody know if there are any books with info on (an in particular) pictures of Reynolds & Branson, which was on Lower Briggate. I've had a look on Leodis but can only find one picture.Thanks for your help. S I'd be interested if you find any photos of it. My great grandfather used to work there in the 20s & 30s.