Crossgates or Cross Gates.

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
Leodian

Crossgates or Cross Gates.

Post by Leodian »

I'm just curious which is the official spelling (if there is one) of Crossgates and Cross Gates in Leeds. The Leeds City Council website confusingly uses either depending where you look. Interestingly in Wikipedia it states "In the past signwriters have been unsure as to the correct spelling of Cross Gates, with "Cross Gates" on the westbound platform and "Crossgates" on one sign on the eastbound platform. As of 2010, only the "Cross Gates" spelling is shown, and this is also the version used by National Rail Enquiries". I've always used Crossgates, so Cross Gates seems odd to me.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

blackprince

Re: Crossgates or Cross Gates.

Post by blackprince »

From memory I would have sworn the spelling was Crossgates.
Looking at google maps is confusing because both spellings are used
The whole area on the map is spelt CROSS GATES but immediately underneath it is Crossgates Road.
Switch to Streetview and you will find the actual road sign is CROSS GATES ROAD. Also the railway station sign is CROSS GATES.
I found a couple of old, pre war , photos of the station and signal box where the station sign can be read as CROSS GATES. so I believe that is and has always been the official spelling.
Leodis photo archive mostly uses Cross Gates but you will find a few photo captions with Crossgates.

I grew up in Harehills or was it Hare Hills? :)
It used to be said that the statue of the Black Prince had been placed in City Square , near the station, pointing South to tell all the southerners who've just got off the train to b****r off back down south!

Brunel

Post by Brunel »

According to the O.S.:
Cross Gates Avenue, Leeds, LS15
Cross Gates Lane, Leeds, LS15
Cross Gates Road, Leeds, LS15

Crossgates Shopping Centre, Leeds, LS15

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Thanks blackprince and Brunel for your inputs which are appreciated. Your "I grew up in Harehills or was it Hare Hills?" blackprince made me smile.

warringtonrhino

Post by warringtonrhino »

I have several maps of the area and they all spell the area Cross Gates, some of my maps do not give the area a name. Those that do are
1775 Jeffrey; 1794 Cary; 1804 Smith; 1830 Murray; 1831 Thorpe: 1841 OS: 1893 25'' OS; 1903 1:50,000 OS;
1930 Geographia; 1938 Street map; and 1955 street map.

blackprince

Post by blackprince »

What is the origin of the placename Cross Gates?

This is taken from a YEP article

Cross Gates, which is also referred to as Crossgates, was a relatively rural village until the coming of the railways in the 1880s, when a station was built there, along with mines, both of which brought many people to the area.

Prior to that, it was divided between the parishes of Whitkirk and Barwick - it’s name may be derived from the ‘gates’ which were used to mark this boundary.

In my generation at junior school in Leeds we learnt that " gate " in a Yorkshire placename came from the Norse for street or way, In Norwegian "gate" still means street. So Cross Gates simply means cross roads. (Similarly Briggate is just Bridge Street).

The Survey of English Placenemes confirms my (or my old teacher's) explanation, so Cross Gates has nothing to do with gates , 5 barred or any other type.
https://epns.nottingham.ac.uk/browse/id ... ross+Gates
It used to be said that the statue of the Black Prince had been placed in City Square , near the station, pointing South to tell all the southerners who've just got off the train to b****r off back down south!

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Thanks blackprince for that interesting information. I was not aware (or had forgotten) 'that " gate " in a Yorkshire placename came from the Norse for street or way'. I had thought gate referred to a barrier (real or just administrative) and so for example at one time Briggate would have had a bridge with an entry/exit control.

blackprince

Post by blackprince »

Hi Leo,
Its just something that stuck in my mind probably from an early school trip to York, where gate means street and actual gates in the city walls are bars
For example Walmgate Bar .
My favourite York street name is Whip-Ma-Whop-Ma-Gate.

Loiner in Cyprus

Post by Loiner in Cyprus »

In the 1960s and 70s when I worked down the pit the roadways/tunnels leading to the face were called gates. ie Main gate, loader gate, middle gate, tail gate and a gate joining them together, running parallel to the face was a 'cross gate'.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Loiner in Cyprus wrote:
Fri 06 Oct, 2023 5:16 pm
In the 1960s and 70s when I worked down the pit the roadways/tunnels leading to the face were called gates. ie Main gate, loader gate, middle gate, tail gate and a gate joining them together, running parallel to the face was a 'cross gate'.
Thanks Loiner in Cyprus for that interesting information.