Did you know ?

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
roundhegian

Post by roundhegian »

In 1715 football was played on a frozen River Aire in Leeds .I wonder if the " chattering classes " of the day were wringing their hands about climate change ?    
roundhegian

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

roundhegian wrote: In 1715 football was played on a frozen River Aire in Leeds .I wonder if the " chattering classes " of the day were wringing their hands about climate change ?     Well as far as i am concerned im glad to see that we have at last got a proper Autumn,cold air,windswept blue skies and a crisp feel in the air.It shouldnt be tepid at this time of year,like it has been in recent years.On the subject of the Aire freezing i wonder if it has occured since.Probably not as we are quite lucky in the middle of Leeds weather wise,the valley provides a good bit of protection from the colder extremes.
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

stevief

Post by stevief »

Does anyone know the site of the first 24 hour petrol station in Leeds?

Hector

Post by Hector »

There was an ice fair on the River Aire in 1684 as well. In fact the this period was known as 'The Little Ice Age'

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Hector wrote: There was an ice fair on the River Aire in 1684 as well. In fact the this period was known as 'The Little Ice Age' Was it the one under the arches next to where the multistorey car park is on swinegate?    

Brandy

Post by Brandy »

]Well as far as i am concerned im glad to see that we have at last got a proper Autumn,cold air,windswept blue skies and a crisp feel in the air.It shouldnt be tepid at this time of year,like it has been in recent years.i was just thinking the same myself todaywhat a beautiful blue sky we had and you cannot beat that crisp cold bite in the wind, il tell you something else for nothing (put yer money away lol) i can see it been a cold one this winter i don't know what it is but the squirrel's have been mighty busy in my garden of late.and i have just been to the Chinese and had to scrape ice off the windscreen for the first time!.
There are only 10 types of people in the world -those who understand binary, and those that don't.

Phill_d

Post by Phill_d »

Yep i agree. Lets bring back the mornings when we had to scrape the ice off the INSIDE of the windows.. It sounds like the monty python sketch about living in a card board box!
A fool spends his entire life digging a hole for himself.A wise man knows when it's time to stop!(phill.d 2010)http://flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/

simonm

Post by simonm »

Phill_d wrote: Yep i agree. Lets bring back the mornings when we had to scrape the ice off the INSIDE of the windows.. It sounds like the monty python sketch about living in a card board box! Ice?? You were lucky! We could onyl dream of ice!
I WANT TO BE IN THE "INCROWD" :)"Those who sacrifice Liberty for security deserve neither!!"

Phill_d

Post by Phill_d »

Thats the one! Yeah but we got a good hiding & sent to bed with no tea as well!And we loved it     
A fool spends his entire life digging a hole for himself.A wise man knows when it's time to stop!(phill.d 2010)http://flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

Phill_d wrote: Thats the one! Yeah but we got a good hiding & sent to bed with no tea as well!And we loved it      Tea,we used to dreeeeeeeeeam of Tea!!!!!!
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]