Did you know ?

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
stevief

Post by stevief »

It was on West Street,now long gone.Glad I got that off me chest!

Si

Post by Si »

stevief wrote: It was on West Street,now long gone.Glad I got that off me chest! Oh...I'm sure you're right, but I read it was the one at the bottom of Pool Bank. It's still there. There seems to be some differences of opinion!

stevief

Post by stevief »

Si wrote: stevief wrote: It was on West Street,now long gone.Glad I got that off me chest! Oh...I'm sure you're right, but I read it was the one at the bottom of Pool Bank. It's still there. There seems to be some differences of opinion! Are we talking about the first 24 hour station or the first self-service station? And would Pool Bank have been classed as Leeds back in the '60s? I can remember seeing an old Leeds boundary marker near Golden Acre Park...

Si

Post by Si »

I was talking about the first self-service station. You're right, it wouldn't have been in Leeds then. I think the sign near Golden Acre Park was one of those black and white jobs as discussed elsewhere.

iansmithofotley

Post by iansmithofotley »

Hi Si,The 'Leeds' sign near to Golden Acre was a substantial blue sign. From memory, it was mounted on a tall, thick, wooden base post about 9" square with a large rectangular top. The sign itself bore the Leeds coat of arms besides 'Leeds', in fact it may have said 'City of Leeds' and was coloured.During the 1950's/60's, the racing cyclists in Leeds, nicknamed 'The Chaingang', who met up at Shaw Lane at 7pm during the week in order to train, used to ride/race?? out to Gargrave and back and then sprint for the Leeds sign on the way back into Leeds. They also used to sprint for the Otley sign on the way out to Otley and then the 30mph sign on the outskirts to the town. On some summer nights there would be as many as a hundred racing cyclists out training with the 'bunch'. Obviously, there was not as much traffic around in those days.I think that alot of people who have moved to Leeds, since 1974, don't realise where the original Leeds City boundaries were. I remember a few years ago when a 'Leeds' sign was erected not far away from me, on the Farnley side of Otley, which is miles away from Leeds. Alot of local people were offended and the sign was graffitted. There is another one near to the bridge at Pool in Wharfedale and I suspect that there are many others which are miles away from Leeds.I seem to remember that the original wording was later changed from 'Leeds' to 'Leeds District' (or similar) as alot of local people were upset about it as despite the changes in local government, they regard themselves as still being in the 'West Riding'.Ian.

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

iansmithofotley wrote: Hi Si,I think that alot of people who have moved to Leeds, since 1974, don't realise where the original Leeds City boundaries were. Ian. Well as a born and bred Morlean, I certainly know where the boundary with Morley was, it was at the railway bridge at the bottom of Churwell Hill. It's not really a railway bridge, it's a latter version of Hadrian's Wall to restrict the Loiners' access to Morley. At least that's what the Morley Chauvinists on Morley Town Council would have us believe - everything that's bad emanates from Leeds Town Hall. I personally don't agree with them although I sometimes think that Morley has (had) more in common with Batley Dewsbury and Ossett and in 1974 should have formed a fifth district with them. But I like Leeds, my daughter (who now lives in Salisbury) has the nickname "Leeds" at work, and she was glued to the David Dimbleby programme about the city over Christmas.
Industria Omnia Vincit

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

Did Churwell originally come under Leeds or Morley because the boundary for Morley and Churwell is actually much further up the hill.There is a boundary stone,on the south side of Elland Road, just after the pedestrian crossing between the junction of Harwill Avenue and Elland Road and the junction of Crossland Road and Elland RoadThe stone is black and forms part of the wall of one of the houses.It has a vertical line in the middle,with a letter C on the Churwell half of the stone,and a letter M on the Morley side.As for Morley being more closely associated with Batley then i would say you are correct,whenever Morley appears in 19th century census it is shown as being in the district of Batley
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

Could nt resist digging so here are a couple of descriptions of Churwell , Morley and Batley from a sort of "Directory" published in the early 1820s"CHURWELL, in the parish of Batley, Morley-division of Agbrigg and Morley, liberty of Pontefract; 3¼ miles SW. of Leeds, 9 from Bradford, 12¼ from Huddersfield. Pop. 814." "MORLEY, in the parish of Batley, Agbrigg-division of Agbrigg and Morley, liberty of Pontefract; 4 miles from Dewsbury, 4½ SW. of Leeds, 7 from Wakefield. Pop. 3,031. It is a perpetual curacy, without Church or Chapel. In the time of Domesday, Morley had a parish church; but it seems to have been reduced to the dependent state of a Chapel to Batley, by Robert de Lacy, the founder of the latter Church, and so to have continued till the great rebellion, when it was leased out, by Saville, Earl of Sussex, to certain Presbyterian trustees, for the term of 500 years, and ever since that time it has been used as a place of worship for Dissenters; and is said to be the only instance throughout England and Wales, of an ancient established place of worship, which was not restored to the established Church, at the restoration. It retains much of the form of a Church, and has a choir and two side aisles, supported upon wooden pasterns instead of columns, but marking the hands into which it has fallen, by sectarian frugality and inelegance. --Whitakers Loidis et Elmete. It was some time back used by the Unitarians, now by the Calvinists. "BATLEY, a parish-town, in Agbrigg division of Agbrigg and Morley, liberty of Pontefract; 2½, miles from Dewsbury, 6¼ from Bradford, 8 S. of Leeds, 31 from York. Pop. 3,717. The Church is a vicarage, dedicated to All-Saints (see Churches for photograph), in the deanry of Pontefract, value, ~£16. 11s. 8d. p.r. £150. Patrons, Lords Wilton and Cardigan, alternately. Batley, the field of Batt or Batta is a place of great antiquity. The church was granted to the Canons of St. Oswald of Nostal, and confirmed by Henry I. Not a vestige of the original structure remains, the whole having been rebuilt about the time of Henry VI. The north chapel of the choir belongs to Howley Hall. This church is adorned with several monuments of the Savilles, Fitzwilliams, Elands, Copleys, &c. --Loidis et Elmete. Here is a Free School, founded in the 10th year of James I. by the Rev. William Lee, Vicar of Stapleford, Cambridgeshire, who was a native of this place, for the purpose of teaching the children to read English, and write, also to instruct them in Latin. He endowed it with an estate, which he conveyed to certain Trustees in his lifetime. This School was handsomely rebuilt in 1818, out, of monies arising from the estate." All of these descriptions appear on a website called Genuki,which is essentially a Family History orientated website foe the British Isles.It is also an excellent source of local history,with particularly good cocerage of Yorkshire.The link below is for the "Where is it in Yorkshire"page,where just about everywhere in Yorkshire is indexed,and linked to a specific information page about the place you are looking at.On the specific page you can find details on jistory,location and also related links to other web resources for those places.http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/YKS/Mi ... index.html
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

cnosni wrote: Could nt resist digging so here are a couple of descriptions of Churwell , Morley and Batley from a sort of "Directory" published in the early 1820s"CHURWELL, in the parish of Batley, Morley-division of Agbrigg and Morley, liberty of Pontefract; 3¼ miles SW. of Leeds, 9 from Bradford, 12¼ from Huddersfield. Pop. 814." "MORLEY, in the parish of Batley, Agbrigg-division of Agbrigg and Morley, liberty of Pontefract; 4 miles from Dewsbury, 4½ SW. of Leeds, 7 from Wakefield. Pop. 3,031. It is a perpetual curacy, without Church or Chapel. In the time of Domesday, Morley had a parish church; but it seems to have been reduced to the dependent state of a Chapel to Batley, by Robert de Lacy, the founder of the latter Church, and so to have continued till the great rebellion, when it was leased out, by Saville, Earl of Sussex, to certain Presbyterian trustees, for the term of 500 years, and ever since that time it has been used as a place of worship for Dissenters; and is said to be the only instance throughout England and Wales, of an ancient established place of worship, which was not restored to the established Church, at the restoration. It retains much of the form of a Church, and has a choir and two side aisles, supported upon wooden pasterns instead of columns, but marking the hands into which it has fallen, by sectarian frugality and inelegance. --Whitakers Loidis et Elmete. It was some time back used by the Unitarians, now by the Calvinists. "BATLEY, a parish-town, in Agbrigg division of Agbrigg and Morley, liberty of Pontefract; 2½, miles from Dewsbury, 6¼ from Bradford, 8 S. of Leeds, 31 from York. Pop. 3,717. The Church is a vicarage, dedicated to All-Saints (see Churches for photograph), in the deanry of Pontefract, value, ~£16. 11s. 8d. p.r. £150. Patrons, Lords Wilton and Cardigan, alternately. Batley, the field of Batt or Batta is a place of great antiquity. The church was granted to the Canons of St. Oswald of Nostal, and confirmed by Henry I. Not a vestige of the original structure remains, the whole having been rebuilt about the time of Henry VI. The north chapel of the choir belongs to Howley Hall. This church is adorned with several monuments of the Savilles, Fitzwilliams, Elands, Copleys, &c. --Loidis et Elmete. Here is a Free School, founded in the 10th year of James I. by the Rev. William Lee, Vicar of Stapleford, Cambridgeshire, who was a native of this place, for the purpose of teaching the children to read English, and write, also to instruct them in Latin. He endowed it with an estate, which he conveyed to certain Trustees in his lifetime. This School was handsomely rebuilt in 1818, out, of monies arising from the estate." All of these descriptions appear on a website called Genuki,which is essentially a Family History orientated website foe the British Isles.It is also an excellent source of local history,with particularly good cocerage of Yorkshire.The link below is for the "Where is it in Yorkshire"page,where just about everywhere in Yorkshire is indexed,and linked to a specific information page about the place you are looking at.On the specific page you can find details on jistory,location and also related links to other web resources for those places.http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/YKS/Mi ... index.html Churwell was certainly part of Morley at formatiion of Leeds Metropolitan District in 1974. It used to be independent and the building opposite the Commercial was Churwell Town Hall. The boundary sign up to 1974 was just the Leeds side of the railway bridge. Parts of the W L Ingle tannery which stood on Millshaw Lane (the former office block is still there) were in Leeds and other parts were in Morley.Morley was indeed in the Parish of Batley, it did however have a chapel and the chapel stood (stands) at the junction of Troy Road and Commercial Street. The chapel is unique in England in being the only place of worship that did not revert to the established church after the restoration. Morley Old Chapel was replaced by the current building, St Mary's Church in the 19th century. The site is the oldest place of workship in continuous use in the town, although it has not been in use since October 2007.    
Industria Omnia Vincit

peterg

Post by peterg »

When I left Leeds, one part of the boundary was the railway line parallel to Penda's Way. It also ran along Austhorpe Lane up towards Selby Road and there was a boundary sign on Selby Road just a few yards beyond Bullerthorpe Lane.