A minor earthquake at Calverley, Leeds, on July 27 2019.

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
Leodian

A minor earthquake at Calverley, Leeds, on July 27 2019.

Post by Leodian »

The recent UK Earthquakes section in the British Geological Survey website reports that an earthquake was detected at Calverley, Leeds, on July 27 2019. It occurred at 01:04 BST at a depth of 12km and magnitude 1.6. Though very minor in World terms it was a highish magnitude for UK earthquakes. I wonder if anyone felt it? The map below (derived from the Google map brought up in the BGS website) shows the location of the earthquake.
CalverleyEarthquakeMap.jpg
CalverleyEarthquakeMap.jpg (94.66 KiB) Viewed 3455 times
I edited this post a little while after posting as I discovered that my home address could be easily found from the Google map I had used from the BGS website!!
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

Freeman

Re: A minor earthquake at Calverley, Leeds, on July 27 2019.

Post by Freeman »

There was also a minor earthquake at Calverley in about 1950. There was a Fireworks Factory at Calverley Cutting which blew up. I was a boarder at Woodhouse Grove School which is about a mile away. We had to sit in the big hall and write letters home on a Sunday afternoon. I remember an explosion and the building shook. I believe somebody was killed.

Leodian

Re: A minor earthquake at Calverley, Leeds, on July 27 2019.

Post by Leodian »

Talking of earthquakes there was one not far from Leeds on November 8 2019 at Shibden Head near Halifax. Occurring at 16:12 it was a 2.3 magnitude event at 5km depth with an intensity of 2. As for that at Calverley though not a significant event in world earthquakes it was quite a strong one for the UK.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.