OLD RUGBY GROUNDS.

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
gram

OLD RUGBY GROUNDS.

Post by gram »

Hi,

While something of a long shot, I’m attempting to locate images or illustrations of former rugby-football grounds in & around Leeds.

These include- among others, grounds known as Clarence Fields- at Crown Point, former home to Leeds Parish Church; Clarence Fields- at Kirkstall, former home to Kirkstall RFC, & later, Headingley.

Militia Barracks & Cardigan Fields- former homes of Leeds St John’s, & the Recreational Grounds- former home to Holbeck RFC. The Horticultural Gardens- Park Royal, former homes to Yorkshire Wanderers RFC.

I’ve located these grounds on a number of different maps, but no early images. With Buffalo Bill’s Wild West Show having performed there, I thought some film of Cardigan Fields may exist, but only found one basic photo on Facebook- which isn’t really identifiable as Cardigan Fields.

While there are many old photos of Headingley- & to a lesser degree- Parkside, I’d be interested to learn of any links I may have overlooked. Same applies to Barley Mow, of which I can few images, & the various early grounds on Elland Road.

I’ve been through FB, Leodis & many other sites, & grateful for links to any others I may have overlooked.

Thanks, Graeme;

iansmithofotley

Re: OLD RUGBY GROUNDS.

Post by iansmithofotley »

Hi Graeme,

You could try Stuart Sheard on this site:

http://www.dropkickbooks.co.uk/p/home-page.html

Ian