The Pacamac is back (did it ever go away?).

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
volvojack

Re: The Pacamac is back (did it ever go away?).

Post by volvojack »

Can't recall what the cost was as they were mainly sold in places like Cashdiasha on Vicar Lane or Millets on Boar Lane. they were probably about 25/- Pre Decimal Though i only ever wore one on a Rainy day when out River Fishing the worst thing was the Envelope it was supposed to fit in always split around the Popper so as far as i was concerned it was usually thrown into my Fishing Box.

chemimike

Post by chemimike »

Twelve shillings in June 1954 in Sunderland
Attachments
sunderland Daily news 26.6.1953.jpg
sunderland Daily news 26.6.1953.jpg (50.17 KiB) Viewed 3467 times

blackprince

Post by blackprince »

chemimike wrote:Twelve shillings in June 1954 in Sunderland
Thanks Mike. The ad confirms my own recollection about the price and colours available. Mine were always grey.
BP
It used to be said that the statue of the Black Prince had been placed in City Square , near the station, pointing South to tell all the southerners who've just got off the train to b****r off back down south!

TABBYCAT

Post by TABBYCAT »

"Indispensable on holiday" so much for British summers way back then!

A work colleague many moons ago used to drone on about how superior British motorcycles were to Japanese ones (owned and ridden both so trust me they're not ) and it always brought to mind an old newspaper ad by Watson&Cairns...

"No more oil stained dirty driveways, every new B.S.A. motorcycle purchased today comes complete with a FREE drip-tray.."

Ahh nostalgia don't you just love it.

Bruno

Post by Bruno »

The discussion of Pacamacs reminded me of the cycle capes we used to wear, that you never see nowadays. I had one in the mid 1970s when I was a youth. It was a large yellow plastic cape with a hood to go over your head, then it expanded to clip over the bicycle’s handlebars (where it was secured with elastic loops) and at the back it went down behind the saddle. The overall effect was like riding along in a small tent.
The older I get, the better I was.

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

I mentioned earlier that i would never ever have worn one except that on a wet Sunday whilst out River Fishing, usually up Tadcaster, York or Boroughbridge way.I could stand all day and the rain would simply run off.
As i lived in the same Street as the W.M.Club that i went Fishing with i did make the mistake of wearing it from the House as it was ..ssing down. As i got nearer i heard someone say "Here he Comes Captain Durex" followed by a lot of sniggering... I never wore it again, even by the river bank on the wettest of days.