Brontë Liqueur

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
liits

Brontë Liqueur

Post by liits »

My toilet reading this week is “A Guide to the City of Leeds”.
Guide Book.jpg
Guide Book.jpg (312.76 KiB) Viewed 1727 times
Not so much a guide, more of an advertorial type of thing with the advertisers getting a bit of a write-up in the text.
Although only produced in the early 60’s, many of the firms are long gone and so too, or so I thought, was one of Gale, Lister’s products; Brontë Liqueur.
Bronte Liqueur Advert.jpg
Bronte Liqueur Advert.jpg (276.36 KiB) Viewed 1727 times
I’ve heard of Gale, Lister, they’re still on the go – at least the name is, as part of Mount Charlotte Hotels group, but I’d never heard of Brontë Liqueur. Ebay and suchlike is full of [empty] bottles if you collect that sort of thing.
Bronte Liq.jpg
Bronte Liq.jpg (152.79 KiB) Viewed 1727 times
A quick trawl of the net shows that it is still possible to by a Brontë Liqueur but not the Brontë Liqueur.
Its now made by Alexander Muir & Sons, purveyors if cheap tat “exclusive” whisky. A link to their website for the liqueur is here.....http://www.bronteliqueur.com/
It seems that Muir's only use the name, the original being a blend of brandy, honey and herbs, their modern version being blackberry, sloe, honey and herbs.
I’m always a bit sceptical of things like this, anything outside the four main groups of spirits, to my mind, tasting like cough mixture.
Does anybody remember the original liqueur and did you taste it, or have you tried the new version?

blackprince

Re: Brontë Liqueur

Post by blackprince »

"I’m always a bit sceptical of things like this, anything outside the four main groups of spirits, to my mind, tasting like cough mixture.
Does anybody remember the original liqueur and did you taste it, or have you tried the new version?"
Hi Lilts,
Sorry to say I can't say I have tasted either.
By the 4 main groups of spirits I assume you mean Whisky, Brandy, Gin/Vodka and Rum?
I am partial to some liqueurs, which I first tasted as a child in boxes of chocolate liqueurs, only at Xmas of course, in those days of real austerity. I expect you are partial to a certain "totally tropical" soft drink :D

The guide to Leeds is an interesting find -I expect there are other forgotten gems in It? -BP
It used to be said that the statue of the Black Prince had been placed in City Square , near the station, pointing South to tell all the southerners who've just got off the train to b****r off back down south!