The History of Button Hill

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
LS1

Post by LS1 »

Has anyone read this book about the development of the Chapeltown area of Leeds?It was apparently so famous that Back Reginald Terrace was renamed Button Hill in memory of this book in the 1980s. If you have read it I was wondering if you could help out with some of the names. Fleece is the name Stowell (the authour) used for Leeds, in fact he uses pseudonyms for various areas, such as Bathwater Road for Harrogate Road, Lambswell for Sheepscar etc. Does anyone know what some of the other names are, for example he refers to the Bentham Arms, but I can't figure out whether this was the Mexborough arms or what?

wiggy

Post by wiggy »

LS1 wrote: Has anyone read this book about the development of the Chapeltown area of Leeds?It was apparently so famous that Back Reginald Terrace was renamed Button Hill in memory of this book in the 1980s. If you have read it I was wondering if you could help out with some of the names. Fleece is the name Stowell (the authour) used for Leeds, in fact he uses pseudonyms for various areas, such as Bathwater Road for Harrogate Road, Lambswell for Sheepscar etc. Does anyone know what some of the other names are, for example he refers to the Bentham Arms, but I can't figure out whether this was the Mexborough arms or what? bathwater sounds more like bayswater??
i do believe,induced by potent circumstances,that thou art' mine enemy?

wiggy

Post by wiggy »

LS1 wrote: Has anyone read this book about the development of the Chapeltown area of Leeds?It was apparently so famous that Back Reginald Terrace was renamed Button Hill in memory of this book in the 1980s. If you have read it I was wondering if you could help out with some of the names. Fleece is the name Stowell (the authour) used for Leeds, in fact he uses pseudonyms for various areas, such as Bathwater Road for Harrogate Road, Lambswell for Sheepscar etc. Does anyone know what some of the other names are, for example he refers to the Bentham Arms, but I can't figure out whether this was the Mexborough arms or what? hey ls1,the book mentions lord bentham too,do you think he could be earl cowper?? never heard of the cowper arms........or have i ???
i do believe,induced by potent circumstances,that thou art' mine enemy?

LS1

Post by LS1 »

I wonder if the Bathwater is a pun on Harrogate being a spa town and it beign like bathwater? Yeah, he talks about a bentham also as an MP (think its him I haven't read it for a while?) It's difficult I think to seperate the fact from the fiction!!!