You pay your rent where???????

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
simonm

Post by simonm »

Ok, I should have said, propposed redevelopment of ATS. See my other thread all about the West Leeds gateway!
I WANT TO BE IN THE "INCROWD" :)"Those who sacrifice Liberty for security deserve neither!!"

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

Unless people have somewhere to park their cars, any "regeneration" of the shopping areas is largely superficial.Heading slightly west, I work in Halifax. When I started working there there were signs on the main roads into the town proclaiming that Halifax was a "Car Friendly Town with over 1,000 parking spaces". However the council got greedy, introduced on street parking charges where it had previously been free and ramped up car park charges, trying to dress these up as in the interests of the environment. The result has been that people aren't using the car parks and the shops are struggling (and Halifax wasn't exactly a shopping metropolis to start with) as people are staying in their cars and going elsewhere where they can park for nothing. The same story is happening up and down the country, yet the council can't see the bigger picture. As a result of them taking less money in parking charges they are now talking about putting the charges up again - which will just drive more folk away!Sadly the days of folk queuing for a crowded, slow and expensive bus whilst laden down with a weeks shopping have gone and probably won't return.
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

raveydavey wrote: Sadly the days of folk queuing for a crowded, slow and expensive bus whilst laden down with a weeks shopping have gone and probably won't return. Not quitehttp://www.leedsmet.ac.uk/the_news/research_re ... BB2.htmbut i know\what you mean
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

weenie

Post by weenie »

i live on armley town street and yes has its problems, but i do like it as it is very handy and you can find some interesting stuff in the charity shops. to be truethfull, its easier with the likes of betting shops and numerous cafe's appearing gives me more time to look in the shops i wanted to go in. in stead of another shop opening up.. if you know what i mean. the only thing i dont agree in is the banks yorkshire bank is not very good as it's only a drop in point and well dont get me started on HSBC - the staff and (sorry ranting on its just hsbc in general) but no i love living here...... used to live here years ago and just moved back. you can now though park behind the shops cause amber cars have moved to purpose built premisies further up....