whereabouts in Leeds are forum members from?

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
tilly

Re: whereabouts in Leeds are forum members from?

Post by tilly »

Welcome to S/L Bestmate
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

j.c.d.

Post by j.c.d. »

Bestmate wrote:Hi everybody. Born and raised in the East End Park area of Leeds. Then lived at Swarcliffe, Garforth and for the last 30 years in Thirsk.
It may be 30 years, but Leeds is for ever in my heart.

Hiya Pal, Where did you live in that part of Town ?

robholl

Post by robholl »

Immigrated at the early age of 4 from Liverpool, Dad having got a job at West Yorkshire Foundries. Lived in William View, Halton until I was 16 and we moved to Pontefract. Lots of fond memories, but no family remaining in Leeds. Must visit before I'm too old!

iansmithofotley

Post by iansmithofotley »

Hi everyone,

This is where I have lived throughout my life:

1946 - 1958 Eltham Terrace, Woodhouse
1958 - 1969 Moseley Wood Avenue, Cookridge
1969 Married
1969 - 1973 Parkways Grove, Oulton
1973 - 1977 Green Lane, Cookridge
1977 - Now Riverside Park, Otley

Maybe we should start a couple more threads on which schools we attended and which places that we have worked throughout our lives. Although some people might find this rather intrusive, and may not wish to take part, it will possibly open up new discussions about who we knew and who we worked with.

Ian

Rover

Post by Rover »

Born in Armley,Leeds 12, Lived in Cedars 33-57. Immigrated to Utah,USA.,1957.

jdbythesea

Post by jdbythesea »

This thread seems familiar. Have we done something similar? Anyway...........

1949 born and raised in Hunslet (Pemberton Street - long gone)
1960 moved to Butcher Hill area (top end)
1972 lived for a year or so on Church Lane, Meanwood
1974 lived in a few flats: Wood Lane at Chapel Allerton and then at Holt Park.
1977 married and moved to Peterhouse Drive at Otley for about a year
1978 moved to New Crescent Horsforth.
1981 then moved to Kirkwood Crescent at Cookridge for the next 24 years and stayed there until my two girls left the nest.
2005 "retired" to the East Coast. Love it here but I still miss Leeds.

I

Peter.shaw

Post by Peter.shaw »

Beeston
Gipton
Harehills
Roundhay
Halton Moor
But now just outside Huddersfield

tilly

Post by tilly »

I am a member of other groups on face book i was thinking wy are there very few if any lady members on here.All the other groups i am on have i would think a fifty fifty mix just wondering?
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

blackprince

Post by blackprince »

tilly wrote:I am a member of other groups on face book i was thinking wy are there very few if any lady members on here.All the other groups i am on have i would think a fifty fifty mix just wondering?
Just look at the titles of the main SL forums. There is only one ( family history) which is of any interest to women. The most popular topics ( Transport , Secret Tunnels, Lost Pubs etc) would be positively off-putting. A couple of old friends of mine (male), both originally from Leeds, rejected the site after a quick look because their impression was that it was all about exploring old tunnels.
It used to be said that the statue of the Black Prince had been placed in City Square , near the station, pointing South to tell all the southerners who've just got off the train to b****r off back down south!

urban rambler

Post by urban rambler »

blackprince wrote:
tilly wrote:I am a member of other groups on face book i was thinking wy are there very few if any lady members on here.All the other groups i am on have i would think a fifty fifty mix just wondering?
Just look at the titles of the main SL forums. There is only one ( family history) which is of any interest to women. The most popular topics ( Transport , Secret Tunnels, Lost Pubs etc) would be positively off-putting. A couple of old friends of mine (male), both originally from Leeds, rejected the site after a quick look because their impression was that it was all about exploring old tunnels.
Contrary to this assertion, I love history and buildings (as my user name would suggest) and many a thread on here results in my husband and I starting on a great day out investigating areas I previously knew little or nothing about. Or seeing what changes have happened to a city I love and hoping things are improving over time.
What does it matter what gender we have on here as long as we enjoy the site. We may not have the volume of posts as in the past, but I remember it getting quite fraught at times and things seem much more polite and supportive now.