Jogon?

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
tyke bhoy

Re: Jogon?

Post by tyke bhoy »

Cardiarms wrote:If I post something it's public and I'm sharing it and I do it withour craving recognition, though thanks are appreciated
Exactly. Whether it turns out to be useful or not, almost everything I post is to add to the knowledge of others and/or to add to a discussion it isn't some egotistical requirment to be recognised.

As I said before the FB group is being run for the benefit of one ego.
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

jdbythesea

Post by jdbythesea »

For what it's worth here's my two penn'orth. I'm sure that there must be strong feelings about this topic and in no way do I wish to belittle them. My comments are simply my take on our "Secret Leeds".
I like our site: it is very well run by mods who do an excellent job (I wouldn't know where to start). Ever since I joined I have found the members to be, on the whole, very knowledgeable, fair minded and always willing to offer advice and help. I like the fact that it can be sometimes a little quirky and that it doesn't always take itself too seriously. The membership, inevitably, will change as time goes by and that can be a good thing. So, whilst there may have been mixed feelings amongst some about Jogon, Phill and perhaps others departing, history will show that they have, nonetheless, gone elsewhere.
The majority of us don't concern ourselves with the politics of the matter. Let's carry on doing what we do best - for we are the best.

dsco
Site Admin

Post by dsco »

Cardiarms wrote:I've got my ideas on how this site can be developed further but have no idea how technically easy it is or whether Duncan has the time and inclination. Also how can we branch out and share information? theres a group running called Leeds Data Mill who take all sorts of data and information and mash it it up to reveal new a suprising connections and uses. Possibly something to persue in the future.
Time and inclination can usually be found if I put my mind to it Cardi :) I'd be very interested to hear your ideas for development, I've got a few myself and could really do with some volunteers to help make them happen to be honest. I am very happy to handle the technical side but the content is all about you guys ultimately, I don't know much (as was amply demonstrated by Geordie's quiz at the birthday party!) Email me at duncan@tyrell.mobi if you're up for getting involved.

The wiki is a particularly interesting opportunity I think, though the keen-eyed amongst you will notice that it has been removed (temporarily) as spammers kept overloading the server and it shut down the whole site, including forums, as a safety precaution. In the long term I hope it will be an opportunity to make the content more accessible to new members and would welcome input from anyone who thinks they assist as one of the curators for that.

Leeds Data Mill is something I've considered, Leanne that helps run it was heavily involved in the spinout of SecretLeeds from council control. If she's forgiven me for that horrific process by now then she may be interested in some sort of data-sharing partnership :)

Re various comments above, SL was never supposed to be a top-down system, run as a tight ship by one individual, with a dictator allowed to decide what's true/accurate/worthwhile/valid and what's not. It's a community, with a flat structure and all the messiness and differences of opinion that entails. That's the way I like it :) What it *isn't*, is a space for egotism, bullying, sexual harassment, and the occasional spot of light racism... Hopefully more of those people who have been put off using SL by such behaviour in the past will no longer find it an issue (we've had a couple of long-term users come back recently for that very reason).
Contact me via ask@tyrell.mobi if you have any questions or comments about the site.

jim

Post by jim »

Very clear last paragraph Duncan, nicely put. It would go well as a sticky, or addendum to the "about" box .

dsco
Site Admin

Post by dsco »

I've removed a number of posts above as they were not relevant or appropriate and it wasn't pleasant reading at points either. I'd like to close this thread but I can't work out how on this new fangled forum system I've created...
Anyway - here endeth the thread :)
Contact me via ask@tyrell.mobi if you have any questions or comments about the site.

TABBYCAT

Post by TABBYCAT »

Post removed by myself as I now believe some of its content untrue.
Last edited by TABBYCAT on Sun 25 Jan, 2015 6:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

A couple of mine went as well, the ones that were a bit personal and unseemly. On reflection, rightly removed. Don't worry about it.

TABBYCAT

Post by TABBYCAT »

Cardiarms wrote:A couple of mine went as well, the ones that were a bit personal and unseemly. On reflection, rightly removed. Don't worry about it.
Not worried about anything Cardi ;)

Just bemused at the inconsistency as a few derogatory totally off topic posts against someone with no right of reply on this forum remain.

This thread is titled Re Jogon and should have ended after it was established he had moved on to another forum, instead it has turned into a "Lets kick Phil" thread with elaborate explanations, cut and paste etc of why he started another forum.

Totally off the original topic totally irrelevant and in some cases still a touch unpleasant hence my comments about inconsistent moderation.

I think it was patently obvious to anyone with any intelligence that Jogon had followed Phil and that this thread was started with a hint of "light the blue touch paper and retire" devilment about it and the total silence from the original poster plus who I believe that poster to be in a previous forum incarnation only confirms my suspicions .

I have said my piece I stand by what I say and will comment no further.

tilly

Post by tilly »

Hi TOMCAT i am back hope you are ok my friend, Its just what the other side would like to see a discussion about them .I for one would not mention ex members from our site. Its ok if a member has not posted for some time and we think there could be something wrong with them. If it is known that they now post on another site and not here so be it .Ps My last post on this subject
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

String o' beads

Post by String o' beads »

TABBYCAT wrote:
Cardiarms wrote:A couple of mine went as well, the ones that were a bit personal and unseemly. On reflection, rightly removed. Don't worry about it.
Not worried about anything Cardi ;)

Just bemused at the inconsistency as a few derogatory totally off topic posts against someone with no right of reply on this forum remain.

This thread is titled Re Jogon and should have ended after it was established he had moved on to another forum, instead it has turned into a "Lets kick Phil" thread with elaborate explanations, cut and paste etc of why he started another forum.

Totally off the original topic totally irrelevant and in some cases still a touch unpleasant hence my comments about inconsistent moderation.

I think it was patently obvious to anyone with any intelligence that Jogon had followed Phil and that this thread was started with a hint of "light the blue touch paper and retire" devilment about it and the total silence from the original poster plus who I believe that poster to be in a previous forum incarnation only confirms my suspicions .

I have said my piece I stand by what I say and will comment no further.
Sorry to dsco for replying to a 'closed' thread but I have to respond.

I most certainly did not start the thread for 'devilment'. It was a genuine enquiry. Jogon hadn't posted for a good while.

Further, another post of mine was culled from this thread too, although it was just an aside and I've no objection to that.