Smeaton's Farm, Austhorpe

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
Telstar

Post by Telstar »

Hi. Does anyone have old photos of Smeaton's Farm, Austhorpe ? There certainly is no mention of it on the Leodis site. All that is left of it is an old brick wall at the junction of Austhorpe Lane and Whitkirk Lane.I used to live at Lulworth Crescent in the 1950's and early 1960's, and used to pass by the farm on the way to the old Colton school.
mh

Croggy1
Site Admin

Re: Smeaton's Farm, Austhorpe

Post by Croggy1 »

I know this is an old post but I've just been looking at maps of this area and was looking for photos myself. I'm quite surprised that there is nothing on Leodis.

I'll keep searching ...

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

I thought this had been mentioned on another thread as the name rings a bell.
Steve JonesI don't know everything, I just like to give that impression!

liits

Post by liits »

No help at all, but I had a feeling that there was a photo [of an engraving] on English Heritage's website, but having had another look, it sin't there. I can't now think where I've seen it.

Croggy1
Site Admin

Post by Croggy1 »

Someone has posted a photo on a FB group of a farm building and person in the foreground but it doesn't show the location very well.

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

It has also sometimes also been called Austhorpe farm, I haven't looked, but there may well be pics on those related threads.

Happy Valley

Post by Happy Valley »

liits wrote:No help at all, but I had a feeling that there was a photo [of an engraving] on English Heritage's website, but having had another look, it sin't there. I can't now think where I've seen it.
I wonder if this is the old picture that you have seen before of the lodge.

https://limnaki.files.wordpress.com/201 ... -lodge.jpg

This photograph shows some of the farm buildings behind Austhorpe Hall.

http://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?reso ... SPLAY=FULL

Probably not the farm you are looking for after reading the thread again, but it is the only picture with farm buildings in it on Leodis in Austhorpe.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

I wonder if this renovated barn that is for sale has any connection to the farm in question as it may be at or very near the site of the farm. This is a link to the property sale information (I have no connection at all with the property selling company):- http://www.zoopla.co.uk/for-sale/proper ... orpe-lane/

In the selling information it states the site is adjacent to Austhorpe Hall, Austhorpe Lane and, interestingly, there a dwelling called The Grinding Mill to be built "on the site of the former stone barn and gin race...Upon completion, this building will then be listed in effect as a Grade II listed building".
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

Happy Valley

Post by Happy Valley »

Not being familiar with the area, that was my thought when I found a photo of a herd of cattle passing the lodge on Leodis. It would appear though from reading the OP again, that all that remains today of the farm is this red bricked wall.

liits

Post by liits »

Thanks Happy Valley, that's the one I remember.