An introduction from an ex Leeds Lad!

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
Mr Wensleydale

Post by Mr Wensleydale »

Hello everyone.First off, thanks for a great forum and apologies if this is the wrong place, I couldn't find a general Intro area....I found this forum whilst searching for info about my old school in Leeds (Allerton High). I lived in Leeds from the early 70's till the late 80's, living in my school days in Moortown then in the Headingly and Woodhouse areas when I then moved to London. I'm now in Switzerland.In the early 80's I ran a picture frame business with a couple of friends in Tenter Lane just off Leeds Bridge in a very old wharehouse building (since burnt down and built over - it was behind the old Sports Shop on the north side of the river). At the time I was very interested in the industrial history of the area and once I went in to the Queens Hotel and blagged my way down into the cellars and into the tunnels around the underground river there. I'm sure in these health & safety conscious days that would never be allowed!The old warehouse was a four story ramshackle affair and we were convinced it had a ghost, 4 or 5 times we heard footsteps on other floors late in the evening. Once my friend felt a strong tap on his shoulder whilst operating a chop saw. He looked around and the room was empty and the main door was locked......Anyway, I've had a pleasant couple of hours looking at the old photos here and reminiscing about the pubs I use to almost live in (no pub culture here which is all I miss from the UK)... Whitelocks, Adelphi, Dog & Duck, Hyde Park (I worked there in 1980 when at college) and the Nags Head in Chapel Town amongst many. I try to get back to Leeds once a year or so and now I often feel like a stranger as it has changed so much. For the better?... I'll keep an eye out here for any discussions that I may be able to help with!Mike
More cheese Grommit!

tilly

Post by tilly »

Mr Wensleydale wrote: Hello everyone.First off, thanks for a great forum and apologies if this is the wrong place, I couldn't find a general Intro area....I found this forum whilst searching for info about my old school in Leeds (Allerton High). I lived in Leeds from the early 70's till the late 80's, living in my school days in Moortown then in the Headingly and Woodhouse areas when I then moved to London. I'm now in Switzerland.In the early 80's I ran a picture frame business with a couple of friends in Tenter Lane just off Leeds Bridge in a very old wharehouse building (since burnt down and built over - it was behind the old Sports Shop on the north side of the river). At the time I was very interested in the industrial history of the area and once I went in to the Queens Hotel and blagged my way down into the cellars and into the tunnels around the underground river there. I'm sure in these health & safety conscious days that would never be allowed!The old warehouse was a four story ramshackle affair and we were convinced it had a ghost, 4 or 5 times we heard footsteps on other floors late in the evening. Once my friend felt a strong tap on his shoulder whilst operating a chop saw. He looked around and the room was empty and the main door was locked......Anyway, I've had a pleasant couple of hours looking at the old photos here and reminiscing about the pubs I use to almost live in (no pub culture here which is all I miss from the UK)... Whitelocks, Adelphi, Dog & Duck, Hyde Park (I worked there in 1980 when at college) and the Nags Head in Chapel Town amongst many. I try to get back to Leeds once a year or so and now I often feel like a stranger as it has changed so much. For the better?... I'll keep an eye out here for any discussions that I may be able to help with!Mike Nice to have you on board your input is most welcome.I look forward to more of your posts.
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

Dog and Duck ??? que?
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

drapesy wrote: Dog and Duck ??? que? Hope it isnt rhyming slang
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

Mr Wensleydale

Post by Mr Wensleydale »

cnosni wrote: drapesy wrote: Dog and Duck ??? que? Hope it isnt rhyming slang Duck and Drake..... it's been quite some time!
More cheese Grommit!

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

Mr Wensleydale wrote: In the early 80's I ran a picture frame business with a couple of friends in Tenter Lane just off Leeds Bridge in a very old wharehouse building (since burnt down and built over - it was behind the old Sports Shop on the north side of the river). I seem to remember Terry cooper was the owner of that Sport Shop. Paul Madely also had a couple one of which was in Chapeltown
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

leedslily

Post by leedslily »

Mr Wensleydale wrote: I found this forum whilst searching for info about my old school in Leeds (Allerton High). I lived in Leeds from the early 70's till the late 80's, living in my school days in Moortown then in the Headingly and Woodhouse areas when I then moved to London. Welcome Mike! I was interested in your comments on the Marco Pierre White thread, as I was at Fir Tree and Allerton High in the 70s and 80s too, a school year above Marco, so we may have bumped into each other back then! Who were your form teachers?

Mr Wensleydale

Post by Mr Wensleydale »

leedslily wrote: Welcome Mike! I was interested in your comments on the Marco Pierre White thread, as I was at Fir Tree and Allerton High in the 70s and 80s too, a school year above Marco, so we may have bumped into each other back then! Who were your form teachers? Hi, My teacher at Fir Tree when I joined was Ian McGeechan (great guy), I can't remember my form teachers names at Allerton High, one was a Geography teacher, Canadian I think. Did you know Howard Cohen? He was a good mate of mine there and we're still in touch.
More cheese Grommit!

leedslily

Post by leedslily »

You're right about Ian McGeechan - and I think the Geography teacher at Allerton was Mr Hall. My last form teacher at Fir Tree was Mrs Hilditch, who also taught Maths, if I remember rightly - at Allerton I was in Miss Stubbs' form for the first couple of years. I do remember Howard Cohen, although I didn't really know him. How time flies eh!

Mr Wensleydale

Post by Mr Wensleydale »

Mr Hall, thanks! The other teacher at Fir Tree I remember is Mrs Morton....? she taught science and seemed to be a nervous wreck. She was always disappearing into her private room, for a quick snifter we always thought. And at Allerton High I also remember Mr Wyles who taught history. What an eccentric guy!
More cheese Grommit!