Post Office Robberies

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
John Croggy

Post by John Croggy »

Hi Ian,I joined July 1964, as I said about a year before John Speed. I was at Ireland Wood till around October 1966, Ellerker and Kitchen were there then. Then CID at Gipton 'til about 68 then plain clothes(Vice)at Chapeltown 'til around 71. 'Charlie' Clarke was i/c the Division. It seems we were always just destined never to be at the same place at the same time. I remember all our pocket books being taken in as part of the Oluwale investigationI'm not sure collar numbers are a good idea. That would enable anyone to identify us. I remember people best by their numbers. Mine was a two digit one. I think a bit of anonimity is probably the best on this site.But it's good to remember things. I think the amount of interest that 's been shown confirms that. Perhaps an ex- Leeds police site would be an idea but I've no idea how to go about it.John Croggy

iansmithofotley

Post by iansmithofotley »

Hi John Croggy,I understand what you are saying and I respect your views on identity, etc. Personally, I don't have any issues on this subject and, with a little bit of research, anyone could trace me if they wished.I can't see much point in a dedicated Leeds City Police site as, in my experience, the majority of people have similar views to yourself on identity and may be reluctant to post. Also, I don't see many ex or current Leeds coppers posting on this site. In addition, there are other sites such as Friends Reunited, Facebook, Police Oracle , NARPO, etc., where people can already post if they wish.As you are aware, I have open views on my time in the Police and I look back on the early part of my career with great affection and pride. I can't change any of it, or any of my experiences, now. I am just so pleased that I worked in the force in the sixties and seventies when I was allowed to make my own decisions and use my own discretion. I also felt that throughout my service, I always did my job to the best of my ability and served the public, and my colleagues, as well as I could.The stories that I have told on this site are no different to what any other ex copper could tell.Ian

Si

Post by Si »

iansmithofotley wrote: The stories that I have told on this site are no different to what any other ex copper could tell.Ian You're right, Ian. Your views are very similar to the missus's.     

dogduke

Post by dogduke »

Trojan wrote: The Black Panther,(Donald Neilson) did a number of Post Offices in the North and Midlands in the early seventies. In fact I think he was caught while doing one in Mansfield. He was also apparently the notorious "brace and bit" burglar who did quite a few homes in Gildersome in the late sixties too . Neilson died yesterday in hospital aged 75.Don't think anyone will mourn his passing
Consciousness: That annoying time between naps.90% of being smart is knowing what you're dumb at.

majorhoundii

Post by majorhoundii »

dogduke wrote: Trojan wrote: The Black Panther,(Donald Neilson) did a number of Post Offices in the North and Midlands in the early seventies. In fact I think he was caught while doing one in Mansfield. He was also apparently the notorious "brace and bit" burglar who did quite a few homes in Gildersome in the late sixties too . Neilson died yesterday in hospital aged 75.Don't think anyone will mourn his passing Neither do I. However, I dispute the newspapers etc who say he was a Bradford man, he may have lived in Bradford at the time of the crimes, but I'm certain he was born in Morley, and his original name was Nappey. He changed it and the name Neilson came from a brand of ice cream that was on sale in the sixties and seventies. I believe his family lived in Tomlinsons Buildings which at the time was behind Woolworths - now Beryl Burton Gardens, behind the Yorkshire Bank.

amber

Post by amber »

majorhoundii wrote: dogduke wrote: Trojan wrote: The Black Panther,(Donald Neilson) did a number of Post Offices in the North and Midlands in the early seventies. In fact I think he was caught while doing one in Mansfield. He was also apparently the notorious "brace and bit" burglar who did quite a few homes in Gildersome in the late sixties too . Neilson died yesterday in hospital aged 75.Don't think anyone will mourn his passing Neither do I. However, I dispute the newspapers etc who say he was a Bradford man, he may have lived in Bradford at the time of the crimes, but I'm certain he was born in Morley, and his original name was Nappey. He changed it and the name Neilson came from a brand of ice cream that was on sale in the sixties and seventies. I believe his family lived in Tomlinsons Buildings which at the time was behind Woolworths - now Beryl Burton Gardens, behind the Yorkshire Bank. Spot on Major he lived behind Woollies then when he married lived in King St Morley.He then moved to Jackson Lane Morley, then to Thornbury. He tried to sell me the Jackson Lane house but I found out it was to be demolished so I rented it from him. Still got the rent book with his writing and signature on it. A strange house but thats another story

onenorthernsoul

Post by onenorthernsoul »

These ID parade 'farces' are brilliant!
We're all bald underneath

fenmike

Post by fenmike »

No wonder some of the branches have security personnel these days. I guess the offices have money with less security than say a Bank would have.    

Bellman

Post by Bellman »

onenorthernsoul wrote: These ID parade 'farces' are brilliant! Hi onenorthernsoul, if you still use this forum can you reply to this as there is something i would like to ask you, cheers.