Yorkshire Evening Post

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
dogduke

Re: Yorkshire Evening Post

Post by dogduke »

82 pence a copy from I think yesterday.
Another nail in the coffin of the printed newspaper.

The most popular features seem to be voting for your best pub/fishshop/cafe etc.then back to the the pub/fish shop cafe
for another round of voting.
Pathetic
Consciousness: That annoying time between naps.90% of being smart is knowing what you're dumb at.

tilly

Post by tilly »

Putting the price up will in no way help sales i do not buy ihe paper and have not done for years.
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

I wonder if there is any way of finding out a Report In the Y.E.P. concerning an accident that occured in Blackpool ain the mid/late 1960s. A Lad who lived opposite me in Beeston was in partnership with another Leeds lad called Terry. thety were Partners in a Hard floor tiling Business, This young man Terry was on a trip to Blackpool andthough i don't recall the exact details, there was an accident and he lost both legs under a Tram.

Though i never actually saw it, his partner David told me that within 12 months he was back working on wooden blocks and using his artifical ones the rest of the time.

Sorry not to be more precise with details..... but sadly it did really happen.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

I would not now bother mentioning errors in the YEP but one on page 1 of today's issue (March 26 2018) particularly amused me :). That page has a major report of plans to build 756 flats. Of the plan the YEP refers to "The £180 masterplan for five acres of land at Globe Road...". Now unless it really is being done on the cheap it would seem a million sign is missing! ;).

PS. In the 'Full story: Page 6' it does mention £180m.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

OT but I think even £180m is doing it on the cheap given current building costs. I think the reconfiguration of the junction involving Clay Pit Lane, Woodhouse Lane and Cookridge Street is costing several million.
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Getting the YEP today (December 24 2018) I was shocked (though I probably should not have been) to find its price had gone up from 82p to 85p. Great ( :roll: ) public relations to put the price up on Christmas Eve! In a justification for the price rise the editor stated that without advertising "if the reader was to pay the full price, each issue of the YEP would cost several pounds".

I still get each issue having been brought up from when a daily local newspaper was essential (Yorkshire Evening News in my case) but I do realise that with such as the online YEP website I do not need to get the print editions. I could also take out the subscription option that currently means each issue is 19p cheaper. What does particularly irritate me about the YEP are its regular paper filling vote for the best bar, best pub, best fish & chip shop...best whatever! Its constant over the top sycophantic adoration for Leeds United is also irritating as there are other local region professional teams, though of course the Yorkshire Evening Post has long effectively really been the Leeds Daytime Post.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Picking up the YEP today (Oct 28 2019) I noticed that only the 68p subscriber price was printed. I then found when I bought the paper that the non-subscriber price had gone up from 85p to 88p, so I guess they YEP was hiding that increase for now! I've always been used to getting an 'evening' paper so I will still do so, but perhaps I should become a subscriber and accept whatever personal information giving that entails.

jma

Post by jma »

The circulation is falling so quickly it's hard to see it surviving long.

https://www.pressgazette.co.uk/uk-daili ... t-fallers/

(Page down to get regional titles.)

dogduke

Post by dogduke »

jma wrote:
Mon 28 Oct, 2019 5:21 pm
The circulation is falling so quickly it's hard to see it surviving long.

https://www.pressgazette.co.uk/uk-daili ... t-fallers/

(Page down to get regional title

I stopped buying it about 4 months ago and I can honestly say I don't miss it.

Buy the Yorkshire Post sometimes for the crossword but its hard to believe
they are both out of the same stable,worlds apart

R.I.P to the Y.E.P,it can only be a matter of time,someone put it out of its misery.
Consciousness: That annoying time between naps.90% of being smart is knowing what you're dumb at.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Quite a number of recent special features on Leeds United seem to paying off for the YEP because in today's issue (July 23 2020) it states "The YEP has had such an overwhelming response to Monday's paper that we're printing more copies of it! Order by noon on Friday to guarantee your copy..." (it gives a web address to place an order). I don't know but I suspect it could be the first time the YEP is to do a reprint of an issue due to an "overwhelming response"! :o