Odd sayings

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
Brandy

Post by Brandy »

'Arry 'Awk wrote: Brandy wrote: I remember mi mam used to say that me and our lass used to be like "DICK AND LIDDY"Who the hell are these two then? Hi BrandyI seem to remember a Club Turn which the Characters were called Dickie and Dottie? Could be? (Bit of a Club Turn yourself, Iunderstand!!! lol!) LOL nice one arry
There are only 10 types of people in the world -those who understand binary, and those that don't.

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

A saying which I used to love was one that sounded offensive, but I think it was actually good natured.    If someone was really smartlyturned out for a special occasion they were said to be "ALL DONE UP LIKE A POX DOCTOR'S CLERK"    LOL    LOL    
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

Chrism

Post by Chrism »

'Prancin' about like a fart in a trance'    What the hell does that mean?? Me dad couldn't explain it and he used it all the time.
Sit thissen dahn an' tell us abaht it.

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

"So bowlegged she couldn't stop a pig in alley" was one I used to like.I am interested in the Icky Plush references. In manchester as a lad we were warned to stay away from sewer grates in the street because "Jenny Greenteeth will get you!* this also appied to old stagnant ponds and it was years later that I found out the name was used as a nickname for duckweed which can of course hold you and drown you if entangled in it.The really interesting bit came when as a folklorist,I found out that "Jenny Greenteeth" was an old nickname for a water demon in Lancashire folklore!My dad still refers to anyone cross eyed as 2Skenning ben" this is a reference to the silent movie star Ben Turpin famous for his cross eyes.Incidentally gandydancers were navvies famous for wearing very gaudy handkerchiefs around their necks and dressing up flash when not working AFAIK.
Steve JonesI don't know everything, I just like to give that impression!

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

Steve Jones wrote: "So bowlegged she couldn't stop a pig in alley" was one I used to like.. I think it'd a be " a pig in a ginnel" in and around Leeds
Industria Omnia Vincit

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

BLAKEY wrote: A saying which I used to love was one that sounded offensive, but I think it was actually good natured.    If someone was really smartlyturned out for a special occasion they were said to be "ALL DONE UP LIKE A POX DOCTOR'S CLERK"    LOL    LOL     Funny I used that very expression to describe how a certain civic dignitary was dressed only on Sunday.
Industria Omnia Vincit

electricaldave

Post by electricaldave »

Whats for dinner?Duckeh?"Duck under't table n round it." sometimes followed by a clip round the ear.'The fats the best part of the chop, get it eaten'For going on holiday we'd be told we would go somewhere exotic sounding such as feelay (this works when given an outrageous French accent.'Knees are cheaper than trousers.''Get it done, what do you think you are, an indian prince?''It's half past bedtime''Sod all and lots of it'Following a swift clout around the lughole - 'There you are, see what you made me do?'''Damn, and that's swearing!''Well, make a decision''Hang on I'm just studying'

Si

Post by Si »

Chrism wrote: 'Prancin' about like a fart in a trance'    What the hell does that mean?? Me dad couldn't explain it and he used it all the time. It's one of my dad's, an'all - sometimes "tart in a trance," or "tart on a Saturday night."Another one is "Big girl's blouse...wi' red socks on." Who knows?

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

rangieowner wrote: How about the response to the nosey child who keeps asking "What's that?"......... ................................"$hit wi sugar on!" One of mi mams favourites
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

Brandy wrote: Chrism wrote: Trojan wrote: Another expression or perhap character from my childhood although I can't remember in what context was someone called "Icky Plush" Mean anything to anyone else? Icky Plush was the bogie man that everybody knew of but nobody wanted anything to do with. According to my mother he was the chap handing out sweets to unsuspecting young children, the man lurking behind the toilets and unsavoury in every way. yeah and nowadays we just call him Garry Glitter lol
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]