Odd sayings

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
Lilysmum

Post by Lilysmum »

Another answer to where is it? "In a bottle in t' cupboard"

Briggy

Post by Briggy »

When faced with a choice of two less than favourable options:-"It's either muck or nettles"

Brandy

Post by Brandy »

When i was a kid i had an uncle(non to similar to peter kays uncle knobhead lol)and whenever anybody got owt new he used to come out with the lines-             "I used to have one of them but the wheel fell off!"Used to have me baffled all the time! especially as he said this to any item ie-toasters,kettles,washing machines you name it and he'd had one, and the wheel had fell off lol    
There are only 10 types of people in the world -those who understand binary, and those that don't.

Chrism

Post by Chrism »

Trojan wrote: Another expression or perhap character from my childhood although I can't remember in what context was someone called "Icky Plush" Mean anything to anyone else? Icky Plush was the bogie man that everybody knew of but nobody wanted anything to do with. According to my mother he was the chap handing out sweets to unsuspecting young children, the man lurking behind the toilets and unsavoury in every way.
Sit thissen dahn an' tell us abaht it.

Brandy

Post by Brandy »

Chrism wrote: Trojan wrote: Another expression or perhap character from my childhood although I can't remember in what context was someone called "Icky Plush" Mean anything to anyone else? Icky Plush was the bogie man that everybody knew of but nobody wanted anything to do with. According to my mother he was the chap handing out sweets to unsuspecting young children, the man lurking behind the toilets and unsavoury in every way. yeah and nowadays we just call him Garry Glitter lol
There are only 10 types of people in the world -those who understand binary, and those that don't.

Johnny39

Post by Johnny39 »

Yes, I remember "Icky Plush". I can never remember him as a threat though, he was just referred to when you asked someone who he/she was and if you didn't know you answered, - "Icky Plush".If you were out in a threesome you were described as being , "Pip, Squeek and Wilfred", who I believe were cartoon characters in a 20s/30s comic!If as a kid you were spotted in your Sunday best, you were told you were, "All dressed up like the 'Cashdisia Swell'. Pronounced Cas-dee-sha. This was a men's outfiteers in Leeds, I think on Boar Lane, and on their ads. in the local papers was a man wearing a top hat and sporting a monocle.Another one about being well dressed was "All dressed up like a Gandydancer", whatever one of those was. Something to do with railways I believe.
Daft I call it - What's for tea Ma?

Chrism

Post by Chrism »

Cashdisia was on Vicar Lane...
Attachments
__TFMF_ao04mr45qr0lrhjvvfhapemk_08e7b18f-a0e4-473f-a618-d04dc4b2140c_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_ao04mr45qr0lrhjvvfhapemk_08e7b18f-a0e4-473f-a618-d04dc4b2140c_0_main.jpg (54.6 KiB) Viewed 2753 times
Sit thissen dahn an' tell us abaht it.

Brandy

Post by Brandy »

I remember mi mam used to say that me and our lass used to be like "DICK AND LIDDY"Who the hell are these two then?

Arry Awk

Post by Arry Awk »

Johnny39 wrote: Yes, I remember "Icky Plush". I can never remember him as a threat though, he was just referred to when you asked someone who he/she was and if you didn't know you answered, - "Icky Plush".If you were out in a threesome you were described as being , "Pip, Squeek and Wilfred", who I believe were cartoon characters in a 20s/30s comic!If as a kid you were spotted in your Sunday best, you were told you were, "All dressed up like the 'Cashdisia Swell'. Pronounced Cas-dee-sha. This was a men's outfiteers in Leeds, I think on Boar Lane, and on their ads. in the local papers was a man wearing a top hat and sporting a monocle.Another one about being well dressed was "All dressed up like a Gandydancer", whatever one of those was. Something to do with railways I believe. Garry Glitter! LOL! well said, Brandylad!Another 'Icky' was Icky the Fire-bobby, a mythical(?) scouse firemancreated by Ken Dodd I believe?PIP Squeak and Wilfred were characters in The Daily Mail (or mirror)and for a long time after,I think, from during the first World War.I seem to remember them as three penguin-like creatures who appeared daily in the cartoon section. Kids loved them. The Three medals issued to returning soldiers from that war,were also nicknamed Pip,Squeak and Wilfred!Cashdisia was a brilliant general outfitters,who, apart from gentsclothing,supplied school blazers and trousers and badges for the many Leeds schools at reasonable prices and also uniforms forScouts,Guides Brownies etc.I'm sure there is a C/W song about 'A Gandy-dancer is a Railroad man'. Words lost in the mists of time I'm afraid.Re; Cashdisia's advert. Sounds like the forerunner of our'Monocled Mutineer' Graffiti character in previous threads!Anyone seen any further wall-doodles since? No? GOOD!

Arry Awk

Post by Arry Awk »

Brandy wrote: I remember mi mam used to say that me and our lass used to be like "DICK AND LIDDY"Who the hell are these two then? Hi BrandyI seem to remember a Club Turn which the Characters were called Dickie and Dottie? Could be? (Bit of a Club Turn yourself, Iunderstand!!! lol!)