Odd sayings

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

And the inevitable barmy reply when passengers asked us for "A return" When we enquired "where to ??" unbelievably the reply was sometimes "BACK HERE OF COURSE !!."If only I was kidding !! LOL LOL
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

When as a little kid I would ask - as kids do how old an adult is I would get the reply "as old as my tongue and a little bit older than my teeth" haven't heard it for years.
Industria Omnia Vincit

simong

Post by simong »

Trojan wrote: When as a little kid I would ask - as kids do how old an adult is I would get the reply "as old as my tongue and a little bit older than my teeth" haven't heard it for years. That was a quote from ITMA or some other radio show of the 30s or 40s I believe, as was 'there and back to see how far it is'. It's dying out because the people who heard it on the radio are.

Leeds-lad

Post by Leeds-lad »

If we pestered me Mam when we'd get summat,her response was.When Nelson get's his eye back!
"always expect the unexpected"

sundowner

Post by sundowner »

I think this ones a cracker If you break your leg dont come running to me.

simonm

Post by simonm »

Trojan wrote: When as a little kid I would ask - as kids do how old an adult is I would get the reply "as old as my tongue and a little bit older than my teeth" haven't heard it for years. I use that one now.. One that used to baffle the [edited for content] out of me as a kid was when asking where my grandad was going without me, he used to reply"Upper knocka down street, three doors below t'bottom to see a man about a dog"WTF does that meanI used to long to visit this bloke with a dog..
I WANT TO BE IN THE "INCROWD" :)"Those who sacrifice Liberty for security deserve neither!!"

Chrism

Post by Chrism »

rangieowner wrote: How about the response to the nosey child who keeps asking "What's that?"......... ................................"$hit wi sugar on!" We used to get that answer when pestering about "what's fo tea ma"... ... ...or "What's fo' tea ma?" answer " A run round t'table an'a bite out of each leg"
Sit thissen dahn an' tell us abaht it.

Arry Awk

Post by Arry Awk »

Johnny39 wrote: When I was a kid - many, many moons ago - my parents, relations, neighbours etc. had sayings for children who they thought were listening in to adult conversation. One, that has always stuck in my mind is, "Littlle pigs have big ears". Another saying - for over inquisitive children - who persisted in asking what this, that or the other was, was, "It's a wingwam for ducks to peak on"! The word "peak" I'm not very sure about, as it was always pronounced "peeark". Anyone else with any of the quotations? In my early years(!) When i would query to Mum'Where's this/that or t'other,she would often reply either ' Ont'dogshelf where thaleft it!' or 'At back o' Leatherses' which I gather, was a pawnshopnear Leeds market! Never found out quite where!Re the 'Wigwam for ducks to perk/park/perch on' quotationThis has been brought up before on the Dialect and Slangthread by Lily's Mum!

jan8

Post by jan8 »

What about :-"Legs like shaved matchsticks"or"I've seen more meat on a sparra's kneecap"Both meaning thin and gangly and both aimed at me in my younger years (not now though!)
Yorkshire born & bred. All opinions are my own !

Si

Post by Si »

"I've seen more meat on a butcher's pencil."