School Trips

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
Lilysmum

Post by Lilysmum »

Kids now bring home letters from school for ski holidays, foreign exchanges,canoeing down the Ardeche gorge etc, all very exciting and a fantastic opportunity which has cost me an arm and leg over the years with my two children.It makes me think back to when I was at school and the trips I went on and how times have changed. We had a trip round a water treatment plant which for a class of 10 year olds was thrilling,but made the Hornsea potteries day out a whole lot more exciting.What memorable(?) school trips did others have?

Si

Post by Si »

Times certainly have changed, Lilysmum. I went on a day trip to Scarborough (circa 1969) and my daughter recently spent a week in Hangzhou, China!

weenie

Post by weenie »

when i was at school, we went to places like Armley Mills, Arla foods on kirkstall road, Golden Acre Park. we went on a residential but nowt big. although this made me laugh, when we were living in Scarborough lmy eldest son went to Playdale Farm, just at cayton, with school for the day it cost me £5 which wasnt bad- but then exactly one year on my other son went with the same school it went up to £15. not many people complained but as i have two boys with only 17mths between them i noticed straight away, why the sudden hike?    

FoxyLady

Post by FoxyLady »

I remember going to Armley Mills too, also Kirkstall Abbey Museum a couple of times, and a power station. Have also spent a week at Ingleborough Hall. Oh and a trip to the coast to 'explore coastal erosion' which was really only an excuse to go paddling!!

Lilysmum

Post by Lilysmum »

Si wrote: Times certainly have changed, Lilysmum. I went on a day trip to Scarborough (circa 1969) and my daughter recently spent a week in Hangzhou, China! Scarborough!! in 1969!! Luxury!that's the same year I went on the sewage works trip,you must have gone to private school!

Si

Post by Si »

Lilysmum wrote: Si wrote: Times certainly have changed, Lilysmum. I went on a day trip to Scarborough (circa 1969) and my daughter recently spent a week in Hangzhou, China! Scarborough!! in 1969!! Luxury!that's the same year I went on the sewage works trip,you must have gone to private school! We used to dream of going to a sewage works!Actually, it was Waterloo Junior School, Pudsey. Now I think about it, we went to Llandudno, too. Luxury that knows no bounds!

liits

Post by liits »

Kirkstall Abbey, Middleton Railway and Harewood Bird Garden were the extent of my school trips.

FLOJO

Post by FLOJO »

Hi,In the 60s our school trips always seemed to be to Haworth, We seemed to be travelling miles from Crossgates at the time, but we really loved learning about the Brontes and going to the vicarage but the hilight was picnic on the Moors and running free and gathering Heather to take home to our mothers.
Ex Leeds Lass

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

I can only remember two school outings, from Ilkley Grammar School.The first one was in 1951, when we were taken to a huge exhibition on Woodhouse Moor which was in connection with the Festival of Britain in the same year.In 1952 we were taken on a day out to Liverpool to study all the industrial heritage there - the one thing that really impressed and fascinated me was the Liverpool Overhead Railway which took workers to their various employments in the enormous docks - sobering to think that the Beatles would still be in primary school, and Ken Dodd would have been 24 and working on his prototype "tickling stick" at Knotty Ash.
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

sundowner

Post by sundowner »

BLAKEY wrote: I can only remember two school outings, from Ilkley Grammar School.The first one was in 1951, when we were taken to a huge exhibition on Woodhouse Moor which was in connection with the Festival of Britain in the same year.In 1952 we were taken on a day out to Liverpool to study all the industrial heritage there - the one thing that really impressed and fascinated me was the Liverpool Overhead Railway which took workers to their various employments in the enormous docks - sobering to think that the Beatles would still be in primary school, and Ken Dodd would have been 24 and working on his prototype "tickling stick" at Knotty Ash. Hi BLAKEY I only remember one school trip from my school Bewerley Street C P School that was a trip to Washburn Valley we had never seen the country side our headmaster took us, he lived there most of his life took us to meet his mum what a day taught us how to tickle trout Just thinking about you going to Woodhouse Moor from Ilkley i would have sooner been ont tops baht tat.