Pop

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
Trojan

Post by Trojan »

When I was a kid there seemed to be loads of pop firms. In Morley there was Gomersals "Magpie Minerals" - I still long to taste their Stone Ginger Beer again - Fentemans is good but not as good - or is it just memory playing tricks. There was also Scotspop from Drigh. There was a company called Thompson & Pearson from Bradford (I think. ) They delivered door to door and the logo on the back of the trucks was "Drink T & P Table Waters" Risque for the fifties. Apart from the national brands - Tizer, Jusoda, etc there was also Ben Shaws from Huddersfield. Any other memories of local pop?
Industria Omnia Vincit

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

I can remember the Alpine pop man on a Saturday afternoon, home deliveries of all the pop you could imagine. Traditional Dandelion and Burdock right through to vivid green American Cream Soda, all with a 10p deposit on the bottle.I'm failry sure our milkman (Associated Dairies) delivered pop as well for a time.
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

What about Corona? - the originators of Tango. They delivered weekly didn't they, and supplied plastic stoppers for the bottles which came with crown tops as I remember - and orange Tango cost a little extra than the other flavours!

Si

Post by Si »

GeeBees of Bradford (Tyersal, I think.) It was quite common in Pudsey in the 60s. Perhaps they went bust when sued by a certain Manchester vocal group!

Dalehelms

Post by Dalehelms »

Busfields from Guiseley. I saw one of their bottles on Ebay recently.

ceejaylufc

Post by ceejaylufc »

My dad used to deliver Alpine pop in the 70's around seacroft/cross gates/gipton and before that in the 60's it used to be Harrogate Mineral waters, needless to say me and my brother got to try all the different types . Does a pop delivery man still come round to the houses ?.The other thing I remember was going to the local pub (in my case the Fellmonger) to the outsales, taking bottles back and getting money for them.Ahhh the memoriesChris x

Leeds-lad

Post by Leeds-lad »

Used to get FREE pop in the early 60'sWe used to climb through chainlink fence at Canada Dry factory on Theaker Lane and help ourselvesOrangillo--- beautiful
"always expect the unexpected"

Uno Hoo

Post by Uno Hoo »

Si wrote: GeeBees of Bradford (Tyersal, I think.) It was quite common in Pudsey in the 60s. Perhaps they went bust when sued by a certain Manchester vocal group! GeeBee was George Barraclough & Co of Bradford. They diversified into supplying fruit juice in the predecessors of tetrapaks, and were very difficult to open. Started supplying Morrisons. Got taken over by, I think, Prince's Foods. There's now a large factory at Westgate Hill, Bradford, where management has applied for planning permission to build a massive wind turbine to generate some of its energy needs. For some reason a lot of local residents have objected.T & P were taken over by Alpine - a national brand.Scotspop's factory was at the crossroads in Drigh. I think there's still the remains of one of their ads on the wall there. I'll check next time I go past.Pudsey had Ackroyd's as its local supplier.In Calverley we had home deliveries of Ginger Beer from Stanton's of Accrington, which in those days seemed a long way off. The deliveryman pronounced the company as "Shtanton's", and one memorable night also offered us "Sharshparella". The ginger beer was in stone jars. Does anyone remember the craze for home-brewed ginger beer, using a "plant" which fermented the beverage? Can't remember what the "plant" actually was, but all that needed to be added was sugar and water, and let the mixture bubble for a few days.
The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ, moves on; nor all thy Piety nor all thy Wit can call it back to cancel half a Line, nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

Uno Hoo wrote: Si wrote: GeeBees of Bradford (Tyersal, I think.) It was quite common in Pudsey in the 60s. Perhaps they went bust when sued by a certain Manchester vocal group! Does anyone remember the craze for home-brewed ginger beer, using a "plant" which fermented the beverage? Can't remember what the "plant" actually was, but all that needed to be added was sugar and water, and let the mixture bubble for a few days. We have made ginger beer by this method quite recently. I have the recipe for the plant somewhere, It consists of yeast sugar and ginger, after a week of feeding it is then mixed with scalded lemons and water then bottled and left to ferment for a week or two to develop sparkle. But there was certainly a craze in 1959 I think when we had a long hot summer followed by a drought
Industria Omnia Vincit

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

ceejaylufc wrote: My dad used to deliver Alpine pop in the 70's around seacroft/cross gates/gipton and before that in the 60's it used to be Harrogate Mineral waters, needless to say me and my brother got to try all the different types . Does a pop delivery man still come round to the houses ?.Chris x Well in that case it must have been your dad we got our pop from then! Small world isn't it?I've not seen or heard of a "pop man" doing the rounds for years, sadly. Our local milkman appears to be only just hanging on by his fingernails!
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell