Out & about in York. Ghosts, gargoyles the strange and curious, and of course the cats!

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
Phill_d

Post by Phill_d »

I had a couple of nice days out in York recently to have a look at there wealth of strange & curious, Old tales and myths recently. Trip no2 was with Tasa hoping to find out something related with the skulls, also she had the map were the cats were It makes you realise how little in Leeds we have of this sort of thing. It probably explains why we find our skull story so fascinating. In York you can't go a 100 ft without seeing some ornamental carving. Anyway there is an organised free tour of the city that is quite interesting. It starts near Bootham bar and goes 3 times a day. It's run by volunteers & is recommended (especially for tight wallets)The guy told us a funny tale how a big Yank, wearing a big hat on the tour was accosted by some drunken ladies dressed as St Trinians, Police ladies e.t.c.. all clad in stockings. He shouts to them 'Hey ladies' next minute there waving a rubber truncheon in his face, He's handcuffed and in seconds he's dragged in the pub, with his fat wallet out he's already to party, until his wife drags him out & belts him round the head.. I could just imagine it LOL I've compiled a picture story of the minster, Ghost tales, strange & curious & the York cats that adorn the city buildings here if anyone wants a look. I find York a fascinating place that Leeds would do well taking a leaf out of it's book.http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea ... =404482637        
A fool spends his entire life digging a hole for himself.A wise man knows when it's time to stop!(phill.d 2010)http://flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/

Si

Post by Si »

Nice pics again, Phill. You've been busy! How did you get the aerial shot of The Minster?

Phill_d

Post by Phill_d »

Si wrote: Nice pics again, Phill. You've been busy! How did you get the aerial shot of The Minster? Ha.. I'm not that good.. The aerial shot is one I got off the net.. There selling them at ridiculous prices. I had no guilt in using it for that reason lol All the other stuff is mine exept that one..
A fool spends his entire life digging a hole for himself.A wise man knows when it's time to stop!(phill.d 2010)http://flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/

Si

Post by Si »

Phill_d wrote: Si wrote: Nice pics again, Phill. You've been busy! How did you get the aerial shot of The Minster? Ha.. I'm not that good.. The aerial shot is one I got off the net.. There selling them at ridiculous prices. I had no guilt in using it for that reason lol All the other stuff is mine exept that one.. Yeah, I didn't think the York Wheel was that big! ;-)

Phill_d

Post by Phill_d »

Si wrote: Phill_d wrote: Si wrote: Nice pics again, Phill. You've been busy! How did you get the aerial shot of The Minster? Ha.. I'm not that good.. The aerial shot is one I got off the net.. There selling them at ridiculous prices. I had no guilt in using it for that reason lol All the other stuff is mine exept that one.. Yeah, I didn't think the York Wheel was that big! ;-) I'm actually surprised to find out that our town hall is bigger than the minster. It beats it by 63'. I think the minster been on a hill & the lack of hi rise buildings in York makes it look so impressive & tall.

Samson

Post by Samson »

A great set of pictures that sums up the beauty and mystery of York.I seem to remember that there was a pub by the river as you entered on the Tadcaster Road (This is 1971!!) called the Cock and Bottle and that was supposed to be a haunted pub. It was next to the river and was frequently flooded so I do not know if it is still there or if it has been renamed etc.I had a marvellous experience last June when I took my Aunt, who is 80, to 'Surprise View'. It was a reasonably clear day and I took my binoculars out of the car in case there were any Red Kites around. We got to the place where there is a plaque showing what can be seen from 'Surprise View'. The Kilburn White Horse - I thought thats miles away- but after scanning with binoculars I could see it in the mist. York Minster - now I thought that was impossible to see from there and sure enough even with binoculars I saw nothing. Anyway I decided to look again and the clouds over York must have parted and with another look in my binoculars there it was. You could make out the distant shape of York Minster and the towers - unbelievable. Once I found it I could see the whitish/cream coloured block with the naked eye so I pointed it out to others who were there and then lent them my bins so they could see it for themselves. This lasted for 10 mins and then that little slot of sunshine closed over York and it could no longer be seen with the naked eye and it was a struggle to make it out even with the use of binoculars.
Born in East leeds, then lived in Halton and aged 20 moved to Tyneside

Phill_d

Post by Phill_d »

Samson wrote: A great set of pictures that sums up the beauty and mystery of York.I seem to remember that there was a pub by the river as you entered on the Tadcaster Road (This is 1971!!) called the Cock and Bottle and that was supposed to be a haunted pub. It was next to the river and was frequently flooded so I do not know if it is still there or if it has been renamed etc.I had a marvellous experience last June when I took my Aunt, who is 80, to 'Surprise View'. It was a reasonably clear day and I took my binoculars out of the car in case there were any Red Kites around. We got to the place where there is a plaque showing what can be seen from 'Surprise View'. The Kilburn White Horse - I thought thats miles away- but after scanning with binoculars I could see it in the mist. York Minster - now I thought that was impossible to see from there and sure enough even with binoculars I saw nothing. Anyway I decided to look again and the clouds over York must have parted and with another look in my binoculars there it was. You could make out the distant shape of York Minster and the towers - unbelievable. Once I found it I could see the whitish/cream coloured block with the naked eye so I pointed it out to others who were there and then lent them my bins so they could see it for themselves. This lasted for 10 mins and then that little slot of sunshine closed over York and it could no longer be seen with the naked eye and it was a struggle to make it out even with the use of binoculars. Great recollection Samson. Thanks for taking your time to tell us. The weather does make a difference yes. I planned my trip on a Sunday. The forecast was for even better weather on the Monday. It was well worth the wait as that extra 10 mile panorama makes all that difference. If anyone still doesn't fancy York for a day out, I recommend hearing the tale how 4000 Vikings decided to take the city & were last seen rowing there long boats up the Ouse in a most convincing manner. I wouldn't have stayed for long that's for sure