Leeds Newbie. Please Help.

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
leedsnewbie

Post by leedsnewbie »

Hello Folks,My wife and I are moving to Leeds in August and stumbled upon this forum which is absolutely fantastic! We are really excited after reading through some of the posts and our previous experiences of Leeds have been great.We were looking for advice for newbies to the area and hoped that you could all help with all your collective knowledge. It could also be a great way for other newbies to share knowledge and ask questions.We personally are looking for suggestions for decent areas to look for property. Is it nicer to live in the city centre or search in the northern suburbs?Are there any resources for new residents- websites or societies?What advice do people have for a new couple moving to Leeds?We can't wait to move and any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.ThanksLeedsNewbie

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

leedsnewbie wrote: Hello Folks,My wife and I are moving to Leeds in August and stumbled upon this forum which is absolutely fantastic! We are really excited after reading through some of the posts and our previous experiences of Leeds have been great.We were looking for advice for newbies to the area and hoped that you could all help with all your collective knowledge. It could also be a great way for other newbies to share knowledge and ask questions.We personally are looking for suggestions for decent areas to look for property. Is it nicer to live in the city centre or search in the northern suburbs?Are there any resources for new residents- websites or societies?What advice do people have for a new couple moving to Leeds?We can't wait to move and any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.ThanksLeedsNewbie Welocome LeedsNewbie to our little world of history,mystery and sometimes complete nonsense.As for where to live in Leeds then it all depends on what you are looking for.The city centre is a lively enough place,but its only recently that the necessary amenities like conveniently placed corner shops/super market,dentists,doctors etc have sprung up in the city centre,a bit of the cart before the horse syndrome,lots of flats built but no daily living infrastructure.If the city centre life isnt for you then theres Roundhay,Moortown,Chapel Allerton ,Crossgates and Horsforth are nice places,amongst many others.Its what you need to avoid thats most important here,and asa North Leeds lad originally i think i can safely say that areas such as Chapeltown,Harehills (pronounced air rills),Halton Moor and Gipton are probably best given a wide berth.
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds contactinfo@secretleeds.com

Mick_SGC

Post by Mick_SGC »

How old are you both?Kirkstall (My area) seems to be going through a lul at the moment, house prices are cheaper than they were two years ago and now I think is a good time to buy in this area, I'm no expert though so research is key (I'm sure you're allreay aware of that and doing it).As far as places to avoid goes, that can be hard depending on budget.The City Centre is also cheaper than it used to be at the moment, you can haggle prices down because all these bloody flats they've built arent selling. All the amenities are there, Hospitals etc. Just dont depend on the Dental School Unless you want more pain than you started with!
I'll be back (arnie)

leedsnewbie

Post by leedsnewbie »

LOL- I was unfortunate enought to have to resort to the dental school for treatment! A very painful experience indeed....Thanks for your replies. It's really useful getting the low down from those in the know. Endlessly searching various websites has only confused us even more.My wife and I are in our late 20's (with no children). We are looking for a 2/3 bedroom flat or house. Our priority is making sure that we are in a comfortable and safe environment, especially since my wife will be commuting on public transport.Our previous visits to Leeds have been focussed around the city centre which was great. However, it seems that living in the city centre can be expensive and a bit crowded. There are a lot of flats vacant at the moment though!I'm originally from London and what I absolutely loved about Leeds were the people. Each person I met was friendlier than the previous and everyone raved about how great thier city was.There's a lot going on, but how do you find out about the entertainment and activities- is there an equivalent of latminute.com or toptable etc.Thanks for all your help guys.Newbie

Mick_SGC

Post by Mick_SGC »

A quick google is all you need!www.myleeds.netwww.itchyleeds.co.uk http://leeds-uk.comwww.leedsliveitlovei ... eds.gov.uk To name but a few.I may be biased but I'd move to my area over most others because its close to the centre has good public transport and is also close enough away from the centre and near lots of park lands. Vote Kirkstall!     
I'll be back (arnie)

Brandy

Post by Brandy »

GIPTONS GOOD ON A SUNNY DAY LOL
Attachments
__TFMF_byff1f55ci1mdfeh3uejjl55_9dc9302f-415d-45e4-837e-adb442a90d36_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_byff1f55ci1mdfeh3uejjl55_9dc9302f-415d-45e4-837e-adb442a90d36_0_main.jpg (208.35 KiB) Viewed 1869 times
There are only 10 types of people in the world -those who understand binary, and those that don't.

Mick_SGC

Post by Mick_SGC »

LOL!I wish Gipton did have a Graffiti scene like that!
I'll be back (arnie)

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

The problem with buying a city centre flat (apart from the price) is that they are aimed at business people, or childless couples. If you then proceed to have a child you will find you are short of space in a flat with a depreciating value.Don't buy a flat near the river by the way,smug owners got a shock last year with the floods, when the Aire flooded some of the underground car parks ,thus wrecking the electrics of the cars inside!
Steve JonesI don't know everything, I just like to give that impression!

Dalehelms

Post by Dalehelms »

You could do worse than consider Guiseley. It has a railway station and only takes 12 minutes to get to Leeds station. At the moment flats are being built next to the station. In addition, 2,3 and 4 bedroom apartments being built only 250 yards away. On top of that McCarthy and Stone are building retirement flats opposite the station, should you want to bring the in-laws up with you too!!Guiseley is a lovely spot. You get the best of both worlds with easy access to Lovely Leeds and close to The Dales. It has good shops, good eateries and a thriving live music scene.Lilysmum comes from Guiseley too, I think. Maybe she'll add to my eulogy.

MrsG

Post by MrsG »

How about Woodlesford - we moved here 5 years ago from Northamptonshire (we were in our late 20's too) and don't think we could have picked a better location!Got a train station, park, 3 pubs, corner shops, dentist, 2 post offices (for now!), doctors, canal and countryside all within 10 minute walk of our house! And now we have a daughter the fact that a nursery and primary school are within 5 minutes walk makes it an even better choice! Barratt Homes are currently building apartments and townhouses close to the canal if you want a new build property or there's The Maltings where the houses were built a few years ago on the site of the old brewery.Good luck with the move - it's a great place to live!!!