CALENDAR

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
wiggy

Post by wiggy »

come on folks...who are your favorite presenters,what are your favorite moments? for me it's MARYLIN WEBB,she was the babe! forget the sugar things and lasses make too much noise....for me she was my teenage icon (by icon i mean teenage shakety gal...nudge nudge,wink,wink....e.t.c.) any memories of richard madeley or the chunky blond fella in the early 70s....or even tell us of your recallections,of the mayor of wetwang,when he was ferretted! marylin webb.......mmmmmmmmmmmmm!
i do believe,induced by potent circumstances,that thou art' mine enemy?

String o' beads

Post by String o' beads »

I was never keen on Calendar - always thought Look North was better in the days of Barry Chambers et al. Austin Mitchell was about the best [not in a babe sort of way though :0] A lot of national BBC reporters started on Look North - Jeremy Thompson for one. Sophie Raworth another, Mike Smartt... Funnily enough, I noticed a name from Calendar's past in the news not long ago. Sita Guneratne appears to be standing for election in a small French town. http://tinyurl.com/4nw73bDid you know that continuity announcer Redvers Kyle was still living? And before anyone else jumps in, we all know the old Look North joke don't we? When does Judith Stamper have her tea? Altogether now...

Lilysmum

Post by Lilysmum »

BARRY CHAMBERS? Don't remember if he was on Calender or Look North.In the early 70's I worked in a hairdressers which was in a Morrisons store and Baz was filming a TV advert for Morrisons.He was on his way to the coffee shop next door when he was dragged into the salon by one of the girls saying "it's him off the telly" He had very blonde hair and was wearing makeup(for the cameras I assume) and was subjected to a good five minutes of comments about how small he was in real life before he made his escape.

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

Jonathan Aitken (yes him) was the first presenter on Calendar in fact I think he may have been the first face to appear on Yorkshire TV. They chunky blond guy was Simon Welfare, and there was someone called Michael Partington (with a name like that he had to be a lanky) There was also Liz Fox (very aptly named) tall and brunette, used to wear extremely short skirts - I think she went to ITN.
Industria Omnia Vincit

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

Lilysmum wrote: BARRY CHAMBERS? Don't remember if he was on Calender or Look North.In the early 70's I worked in a hairdressers which was in a Morrisons store and Baz was filming a TV advert for Morrisons.He was on his way to the coffee shop next door when he was dragged into the salon by one of the girls saying "it's him off the telly" He had very blonde hair and was wearing makeup(for the cameras I assume) and was subjected to a good five minutes of comments about how small he was in real life before he made his escape. Barry Chambers was on Look North, he lived down Thorpe Lane in a bungalow just on the right hander before you turn left for Rothwell. David Seymour was also on Look North - I think he may have been from Sheffield for a sort of balance. There was also Michael Cooke who unforgiveably after a RL cup draw called Wakey "Wakefield Town" There was also Khaled Aziz, I wonder what they're all doing today?
Industria Omnia Vincit

String o' beads

Post by String o' beads »

I'm fairly sure Barry died a year or two back.

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

Trojan wrote: Jonathan Aitken (yes him) was the first presenter on Calendar in fact I think he may have been the first face to appear on Yorkshire TV. They chunky blond guy was Simon Welfare, and there was someone called Michael Partington (with a name like that he had to be a lanky) There was also Liz Fox (very aptly named) tall and brunette, used to wear extremely short skirts - I think she went to ITN. It must be around forty years since Calendar (and Yorkshire TV) started. Before that we had Granada - from Manchester - they had a small office on the Headrow, their early evening local news was called People and Places and then renamed Scene at 6-30. It was presented by Bill (Sex Pistols) Grundy, Gay Byrne, (who's on RTE now) Brian Trueman and Michael Parkinson. They didn't do a bad job of covering Yorkshire really - and of course their greates moment came in early October 1962 when they broadcast a new band from Liverpool - The Beatles - they did a film from the Cavern and then they sang "Love Me Do" in the studio - I was sold then and still am now!
Industria Omnia Vincit

magic

Post by magic »

Can any one remember a few years back when Duncan Wood was out & about doing a live report when he was bombarded by egg throwing youths? It put a new meaning to having egg on yer face!

munki

Post by munki »

Charlotte Leeming! Lovely lady, & a staunch supporter of Secret Leeds.
'Are we surprised that men perish, when monuments themselves decay? For death comes even to stones and the names they bear.' - Ausonius.

arry_awk

Post by arry_awk »

My Favourite Totties on Calendar at the mo' are;Weather girl no. 1. JO BLYTHE!Presenter No 1.     Christine TalbotFeel better already. (cancel that rubdown!)