Who counts as a Loiner?

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

[quotenick="Trojan"] Phill_d wrote: simonm wrote: Yeah these 'greater' or 'metropolitan' boundaries paint a false picture of the importance or size of a place. It's a bit like. 'lets grab as many places that are not even remotely connected to Leeds, are miles away and call it Leeds. Just so we look bigger and better than what we really are. It's all nonsense.     But Morley is only 4 1/2 miles from Leeds, probably nearer the centre of Leeds than Seacroft, or Bramley. But I'll grant you that in character up to 1974 it had more in common with Batley Ossett and Dewsbury than it had with Leeds - but now its mainly a Leeds domitory - so are we Morleans Loiners or not? (if we're not you can whistle for your rhubarb in future ) People from Morley are Leeds when it suits them ive found.Bramley,Armley,Beeston,Chapel Allerton and Hunslet were all chapelries within the 32 square mile parish of Leeds,hence their connection with Leeds.Morley is definitely Batley/Dewsbury historically.and thats how it should be.Those of a weaker backbone on the otherside of the pennines(sorry Munki) are quite happy to change their allegiencies to suit,not so this side,Yorkshire has an independent air about it,and this permeates down to the towns and villages within Yorkshire,and im all for that.Otley is Otley,Leeds is Leeds,and probably Armley is Armley (until it suits them....oopps can of worms!!)
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

simonm

Post by simonm »

I don't think areas like Armley, Bramley, Seacroft etc all think of themselves anything other than coming from Leeds. We all know where our respective villages hailed from and how the spread of urbanisation swallowed em all up eventually. I've certainly never heard any from such areas not claiming to be part of Leeds. However, Morley, Otley, even Pudsey all hate the fact that they are connected, but I think your right in that it's when it suits!! I was at a planning meeting t'other week and there were people from Richmnd, pickering etc and hate the fact that they have to answer to York councill. Now that is daft! I mean Otley, Morley etc are all withing a cats co.. hair of Leeds and is managable.    
I WANT TO BE IN THE "INCROWD" :)"Those who sacrifice Liberty for security deserve neither!!"

Si

Post by Si »

I was born in Leeds, brought up in Pudsey and now live in Otley. If asked where I come from by someone in this region, I usually say Pudsey. Most people from Pudsey (or Otley) don't like to think of themselves as Leeds proper. It could have been worse for Pudsey in 1974 - it's nearer Bradford!However, having said that, when I lived in the North East and London, I would say I'm from Leeds (and proudly.) If that's to suit, I make no apologies. It' just simpler than explaining where Pudsey is. And anyway, I was born in Leeds! PS When I lived in Pudsey, it was generally accepted that if you were "going into town," it meant Leeds!

Gandalf

Post by Gandalf »

So having lived in Leeds for 35 years am I a Loiner or not?I feel I am a Loiner, have no desire to move elsewhere (well maybe the Lake District) and I am proud of Leeds and the way it has developed over the last few years.

Lilysmum

Post by Lilysmum »

Phill_d wrote: simonm wrote: I think places like Otley were placed into the Leeds Council administration area in the 70's??? Maybe be totaly wrong about it though! Yeah it was something like that. It doesn't make it Leeds do you think Si? I bet the folks of Otley aren't too chuffed either. I always think of Leeds the city proper is were the built up surburban areas give way to the country. Like Seacroft is Leeds, Thorner has it's own Identity, Middleton is Leeds, Rothwell isn't. Just my way of looking at it I suppose.     Otley like Airebourough(Yeadon,Rawdon and Guiseley) had their own UDC (urban district councill)until they became part of Leeds and listening to old timers things have never been the same since.Guiseley may be one of the outlying areas of Leeds but I still class myself as being from Leeds,I was born at Hyde Terrace and pay my council tax to Leeds City council.

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

Gandalf wrote: So having lived in Leeds for 35 years am I a Loiner or not?I feel I am a Loiner, have no desire to move elsewhere (well maybe the Lake District) and I am proud of Leeds and the way it has developed over the last few years. That could depend on your sporting allegiances!!(hee hee)
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

Gandalf

Post by Gandalf »

Support Leeds but still follow Man City. Hate the scum. Is that good enough.

Reginal Perrin

Post by Reginal Perrin »

Aye, Rothwell had it's own council until 1977 which had been in existence for nearly 100 years. Saying that as I and many others were "born" in St James or Manygates in Wakefield does that make us Loiners or Shakey Wakeyites?
Ravioli, ravioli followed by ravioli. I happen to like ravioli.

simonm

Post by simonm »

Gandalf wrote: Support Leeds but still follow Man City. Hate the scum. Is that good enough. So long as you hate the ones who need hating, your good enough for me!!
I WANT TO BE IN THE "INCROWD" :)"Those who sacrifice Liberty for security deserve neither!!"

Si

Post by Si »

Peace and love, man!