Who counts as a Loiner?

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
frisbee

Post by frisbee »

A better link to see the expansion of Leeds boundaries:http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/bound ... d=10001043

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

There's been talk of Horsforth Rodley Rawdon and Yeadon as being "Leeds" but until 1974 they consituted the Urban District of Aireborough within the West Riding. Morley's adminsitrative area was huge for a municipal borough. From the boundary with Wakefield at Carr Gate/East Ardsley to the boundary with Bradford at Drighlington/Westgate Hill, and the other way from the boundary with Batley on Scotchman Lane and Howden Clough to the boundary with Leeds at Churwell and New Farnley.Pudsey is certainly nearer Bradford than Leeds and in the sixties Pudsey telephone numbers appeared in both the Bradford and Leeds area directories. At the bottom of Roker Lane it was possible to stand at the same time in Pudsey, Bradford and Leeds.
Industria Omnia Vincit

Hoppers-World!

Post by Hoppers-World! »

I reckon been born in Jimmys makes me pretty much 100% Loiner

Kippax_Bird

Post by Kippax_Bird »

what about me I'm from Kippax? wold class my self as a loiner

String o' beads

Post by String o' beads »

Hoppers-World! wrote: I reckon been born in Jimmys makes me pretty much 100% Loiner Me too!

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

Kippax_Bird wrote: what about me I'm from Kippax? wold class my self as a loiner Cas that.
Industria Omnia Vincit

wiggy

Post by wiggy »

frisbee wrote: The city boundaries of Leeds, like most cities, have evolved over the years. As recently as the 1930's even places like Hunslet and Holbeck were seperate townships with their own local administrations. Hunslet had a considerably large population and had a relationship to Leeds similiar to what Salford has to Manchester. Also in the 1930's areas to the east of the city such as Seacroft where annexed from neighbouring boroughs to allow the building of huge council estates to replace the houses demolished for the slum clearances. These boundary changes generally reflected the growth of the city especially where the growth of the suburbs merged into the outlying towns. Over the years with the growing need for public transport and public services, it made a certain sense to pool resources and it was a good idea for the larger city to absorb the smaller town units into its administration especially where there was no longer any physical seperation of the townships from the city and the population of the townships identifified with the city anyway.However in 1974, there was a massive change to the way local government was organised. One of the major changes was the abolition of the historic counties that had existed for hundreds of years. Overnight, huge chunks of Yorkshire were sliced off and parts of the county was even suddenly in Lancashire, and the eastern part of Yorkshire suddenly became Humberside. All over the country, new artifificial counties were created for local government admistration purposes. New counties like Teeside, Tyne & Wear, Merseyside and Greater Manchester etc appeared on the map. In Yorkshire, the old Ridings were abolished and Metropolotn Counties like West Yorks and South Yorks were created. Also in 1974. the old city councils were replaced with new Metroplotan City authorities. Leeds and Bradford had new metroplitan areas, that not only included the original city areas, but incorporated many of the surrouding towns. These new metrpoltian councils areas created a lot of controversy at the time. For instance Rothwell was originally intended to be included in the Wakefield Council area, but at the last minute it was moved into the Leeds Council area. The Rothwell public were against joining Leeds and even took the issue to the High Court. Many of 1974 County and local boundary changes caused similar outrage. While initially intended to unite comunities which had grown around either side of historic boundary, the politicians got old of it and turned it into political carve up, to ensure that they got to run certain areas. This led to the creation of new artifical boundaries that cut across long established communties and just run roughshod over peoples idenitification with such communities. Imagine growing up in Yorkshire all your life and then suddenly you are told you now live in Lancashire!Leeds and Bradford and Wakefield were treated slightly different than other big cities in the 1974 local government re-organisation. While Leeds Metro area took in a number of surrounding townships, similiar size cities like Manchester, Liverpool, Birmingham areas were limited to included existing city boundaries (Manchester expanded slightly to the south to include the airport but didn't absorb any surrounding towns).Interestingly enough, some of the towns within the Leeds Metroplotan boundary area like Horsforth, Wetherby. Morley etc still have their own elected town councils, although the powers of these councils are very limited and they are not responsible for providing services.By the way, if you are interested in how the boundaries of your town changed over the years, there is a great website called Vision of Britain that shows when these various changes were made. http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/bound ... d=10001043 done LOTR, and war and peace...but thats a reete post...bugger that! i was born at number 1 bowness place,holbeck...in 1966....LS10,as it was even then...I AM LEEDS    (AS JFK WAS BERLIN!)    
i do believe,induced by potent circumstances,that thou art' mine enemy?

frisbee

Post by frisbee »

Don't worry wiggy, Holbeck was definitely in Leeds in 1966 so you're a true Loiner.As for people from Morley, Kippax, Pudsey etc being Loiners or not I guess it really depends on how they self-identify themselves. If you were born in Morley for example but see yourself as being primarily from Leeds, then your a Loiner.

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

Can I be founder member of a Loiner infiltration group "the Morlean tendency" I'll work from the inside to slant all Loiner beliefs toward the ulitmate goal - Leeds is absorbed by Greater Morley!
Industria Omnia Vincit

simonm

Post by simonm »

To the point Frisbee made about Yorkshire folk suddenly finding they lived in Lancashire. Administratively (sp, even if the word exists) Yes they do now live in Lncashire, However, the old ridings of West, North and East cover the original area of Yorkshire and are STILL legal if used in addresses etc. So even if you do find yourself in Lancashire, you can still ignore it and put West Riding of Yorkshire if you so feel that way inclined!
I WANT TO BE IN THE "INCROWD" :)"Those who sacrifice Liberty for security deserve neither!!"