Who counts as a Loiner?

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
Trojan

Post by Trojan »

My dad (Morley born and bred) used to use the term "Leeds Loiner" as a bit of an insult - a wide boy - city slicker type. I also was born in Morley and certainly until 1974 Morley most definitely was NOT Leeds. But now? Many of Morley's residents are Leeds born - we are part of Leeds (although Morley Borough Independents would have it otherwise) so do we (I)count as Loiners? For that matter do the residents of Otley, Pudsey, Wetherby count as Loiners. (would they want to?)Is there a rule like with Cockneys that you have to have been born within a certain distance of Leeds Town Hall? For that matter should there be such a rule? Just something to think about.
Industria Omnia Vincit

simonm

Post by simonm »

From the story I heard, around the area of new briggate there were lots of people that used to make a living out of making shamy leather sheets, or commonly known as Loin cloths. IF you were poor and born in this area you were commonly known as a loiner. Thats the version I heard anyhow. Probably a lod of old bo***cks! Who knows.
I WANT TO BE IN THE "INCROWD" :)"Those who sacrifice Liberty for security deserve neither!!"

Phill_d

Post by Phill_d »

One thing that bugs me about these Leeds boundaries is looking on the Leodis site and finding stuff about Otley. I've nothing against Otley, It's a nice place, but it aint Leeds and shouldn't be on a site called Leodis. Apart from that little rant I've never heard anything like 'you must be born within a mile of the town hall' or anything like the cockneys have.
A fool spends his entire life digging a hole for himself.A wise man knows when it's time to stop!(phill.d 2010)http://flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/

simonm

Post by simonm »

I think places like Otley were placed into the Leeds Council administration area in the 70's??? Maybe be totaly wrong about it though!
I WANT TO BE IN THE "INCROWD" :)"Those who sacrifice Liberty for security deserve neither!!"

Phill_d

Post by Phill_d »

simonm wrote: I think places like Otley were placed into the Leeds Council administration area in the 70's??? Maybe be totaly wrong about it though! Yeah it was something like that. It doesn't make it Leeds do you think Si? I bet the folks of Otley aren't too chuffed either. I always think of Leeds the city proper is were the built up surburban areas give way to the country. Like Seacroft is Leeds, Thorner has it's own Identity, Middleton is Leeds, Rothwell isn't. Just my way of looking at it I suppose.    
A fool spends his entire life digging a hole for himself.A wise man knows when it's time to stop!(phill.d 2010)http://flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/

simonm

Post by simonm »

I suppose thats why Leeds has one of the biggest admin areas in the country. Greater scu... Manchester () was born around the same time I think, don't make it Manchester does it. I suppose everywhere has to belong to somewhere. Shame really as it detracts from the real identity of a place, imho anyway!

Phill_d

Post by Phill_d »

simonm wrote: I suppose thats why Leeds has one of the biggest admin areas in the country. Greater scu... Manchester () was born around the same time I think, don't make it Manchester does it. I suppose everywhere has to belong to somewhere. Shame really as it detracts from the real identity of a place, imho anyway! Yeah these 'greater' or 'metropolitan' boundaries paint a false picture of the importance or size of a place. It's a bit like. 'lets grab as many places that are not even remotely connected to Leeds, are miles away and call it Leeds. Just so we look bigger and better than what we really are. It's all nonsense.    

simonm

Post by simonm »

Not only is it nonsense, it must be detrimental to the whole system. Services diluted etc. Locals to the villages feeling even more fed up with the bigger council and lack of funds / services etc. Town councils having zero say in how thier once independant towns are serviced! Seems stupid, but thats govmnt for you.    

Croggy

Post by Croggy »

According to Leeds.gov.uk ... Quote: Natives of Leeds are known as "Loiners", there are various theories as to the origin of the term, none of which are definitive. Loiner could derive from the name Loidis as above, another explanation is a Loiner is someone born within the sound of the church bells of Briggate. In the 19th century there were many yards and closes around Briggate whose back entrances were known as "Low Ins" or "Loins" hence "Loiner". Another theory is that there were a number of lanes in the Briggate area pronounced "loins". Men who gathered at the lane end to gossip etc. were "Loiners".

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

[quotenick="Phill_d"] simonm wrote: Yeah these 'greater' or 'metropolitan' boundaries paint a false picture of the importance or size of a place. It's a bit like. 'lets grab as many places that are not even remotely connected to Leeds, are miles away and call it Leeds. Just so we look bigger and better than what we really are. It's all nonsense.     But Morley is only 4 1/2 miles from Leeds, probably nearer the centre of Leeds than Seacroft, or Bramley. But I'll grant you that in character up to 1974 it had more in common with Batley Ossett and Dewsbury than it had with Leeds - but now its mainly a Leeds domitory - so are we Morleans Loiners or not? (if we're not you can whistle for your rhubarb in future )
Industria Omnia Vincit